October 2011

Mother’s world ‘torn apart’ as paedophile stands trial

A paedophile with a “predilection to prey upon young men” who worked for the Youth Offending Team in Plymouth has been jailed for four years.

Ivor Trevillion, 53, was found guilty of a string of sex attacks on two young boys and a young girl in Cornwall between 1994 and 2000, where he lived before moving to Plymouth.

A MOTHER has told how her world was “blown apart” by news her child was a victim of a paedophile – only learning the horrific details in court years later.

A decision to report predatory Ivor Trevillion to police against her now adult son’s wishes has left the family estranged. She said he has refused to speak to her since.

Speaking after the trial at Truro Crown Court last week, the mother, who cannot be named for legal reasons, said: “It has been one long nightmare and torn the family apart.

“Ever since I have felt the guilt – I left my child in his care and trusted him with my most precious possession.

“How do you build your life back up after this?”

And she said the four-year sentence did not compare to her family’s lifelong suffering.

Trevillion denied but was found guilty of five out of seven counts of sexual abuse against two boys and a girl in Falmouth between 1994 and 2000. The mum said the trial was the first time she heard exact details of the crimes against her child.

Judge Christopher Elwen said the 53-year-old had a “predilection to prey on young boys” and his offending had involved elements of grooming and very significant breaches of trust.

Trevillion had described the charges as “malicious nonsense”, adding: “I have not done any of the things they have said.”

But the jury returned a unanimous verdict.

Detective Constable Garry Hainsworth, of the Child Abuse Investigation Unit, believed there were more victims yet to come forward and encouraged them to do so.

“Someone like him has the potential to have abused over a very long period,” he said. “He put himself in positions to abuse children, volunteering for lots of groups, in positions of trust … this is about power and dominance.”

Trevillion lived in Falmouth until moving to Plymouth in 2002 and volunteering at a young offenders’ unit.

The court heard in 2004 he was reported to police for acting “inappropriately” with a teenage boy in his care, suspended pending an investigation and later resigned. No charges were brought.

Trevillion’s father died when he was young and he lived with his mother Stella at Grenville Crescent.

After her death in the early Nineties he became a chronic alcoholic, later living at the town’s YMCA, which has since closed.

He worked at St Budoc Boys’ Home and Budock Hospital, volunteered for the Falmouth Army Cadets and was a football referee.

He worked with a number of groups in the region and one offence happened during a performance when he, volunteering as a stage hand, groped one child victim as he handed over a prop.

He always played the dame for Bray Theatre, which was not related to the charges.

Founder Ivor Bray said: “He was with us from the word go and was a talented man; singing, playing guitar and a good sense of comedy.

“This has given the group a bad name and it’s unbelievable and shocking.”

Trevillion has been ordered to sign the sex offenders register for the rest of his life and Judge Elwen imposed a sexual offences prevention order which disqualified him from working with children and restricts his contact with them unless they are with parents or guardians.