September 2009

Ex-caretaker of Bournemouth school guilty of indecent assaults

THE former caretaker of a Bournemouth secondary school is facing a jail sentence after being found guilty of carrying out two indecent assaults on a young girl.

John Floyd, who worked at Portchester School, shook and wept in the dock after the jury at Bournemouth Crown Court delivered its verdicts.

The 48-year-old grandfather, formerly of Stanley Road, Bournemouth, but more recently living in the Manchester area, had denied both charges.

He claimed the victim, and four other girls who gave evidence about his behaviour, were lying.

The judge, Mr Recorder Ian Pringle QC, remanded him on bail until October for a pre-sentence report to be prepared and to give Floyd the chance to “put his house in order” before going to prison.

Mr Pringle told him: “You have been found guilty unanimously of two very serious offences.

“Indeed you must understand that the only sentence I am going to pass is one of immediate custody.”

He ordered Floyd to join the Sex Offenders register and not to have any direct or indirect contact with the witnesses.

During the week-long trial, the court heard that the victim, now a mother in her 20s, had been “groomed” by Floyd when she was 11 or 12 before being assaulted.

She told her boyfriend, then the police in 2007, sparking an investigation and revelations that Floyd had shown young girls internet pornography, given them alcohol and the 18-certificate film A Clockwork Orange to watch.

The jury was also shown a video Floyd shot at the beach in August 1995 – two years after his wife left him.

Although he was supposed to be filming his own young children, he kept zooming in on the intimate areas of girls’ bodies.

Prosecutor Charles Gabb described it as “the video of a pervert”, but in interview with the police Floyd denied having any sexual interest in children. After the case, Det Cons Keilly Bunce hailed the verdicts as “the right result”, adding: “It’s going to finally give some closure to the girls.

“They can move on with their lives. It has been quite harrowing.”

Portchester School head teacher Chris Bradey said: “Prior to Mr Floyd starting work at Portchester all necessary police checks were carried out.

“On the day the allegations came to light in June 2007, Mr Floyd ceased his duties at school while police investigations were ongoing.

“During this time he had no access to the school or pupils.

“Mr Floyd left our employment by mutual agreement on February 1, 2008.

“There were no allegations that he behaved inappropriately towards pupils from the school.”