July 2009

Paedophile wins damages in case that could cost taxpayers £20,000

A convicted paedophile and rapist was awarded damages for wrongful arrest  in a case costing the taxpayer more than £20,000.

Robin Frampton, who was placed on the sex offenders’ register for life after an indecent assault on a prostitute, was arrested for breaching the terms of his licence.

The case was dropped at court after he had been held on remand for 110 days.

The 53-year-old was today awarded £3,075 compensation after a judge at Leeds County Court found he had been wrongfully arrested and imprisoned.

Frampton, from Southampton, lost an additional claim against North Yorkshire Police for malicious prosecution.

The force was ordered to pay the damages plus Frampton’s court costs of around £10,500. Legal costs to the police are believed to be in the region of £10,000.

His previous convictions include being jailed in November 1980 after he grabbed two girls, aged nine and ten, threatened them with a knife and attempted to rape one of them and again in 1989 for raping a pensioner in her own home.

He was seized in Selby, North Yorkshire, in July 2006 after giving a false name and address, a one-day court hearing earlier this year was told.

He had left home telling his wife he was going to a barbecue at a male friend’s house – but instead travelled to Selby to stay with a woman he met through a telephone dating service.

He went to a police station in the town to inform them out of ‘courtesy’ that he was staying in the area and showed officers a document with his alias Robert Williams and an old address. His placement on the sex offenders’ register had expired, he told them.

The ‘high-risk’ sex offender also failed to give police the right name and address of his girlfriend.

Detectives believed he had failed to give police his new address within the three-day time limit given to sex offenders who are moving home and thought he could pose a danger to members of the public.

They traced him to his girlfriend’s house and arrested him for giving false details and failing to register a change of address.

He was charged and held in custody on remand for 110 days before the Crown Prosecution Service formally offered no evidence when the case was heard at crown court.

He was sentenced to 12 months in July 1999 for the indecent assault and ordered to register as a sex offender for five years but his jail term was later increased to three years by the Court of Appeal, automatically placing him on the register indefinitely.