January 2010

Convicted paedophile went missing from Blackburn bail hostel for nine days

A CONVICTED paedophile walked out of a Blackburn probation hostel because of alleged pressures from other criminals.

Alan Keegan went to ground for about nine days. He travelled to Wales and lived rough before giving himself up to police.

Preston Crown Court heard that he did a similar thing some months earlier when he absconded from another hostel in East Lancashire.

Keegan, 41, was given 12 weeks jail by a judge at the crown court, having admitted failing to comply with the requirements of a sex offender notification.

He had been given a four-year prison term at Preston Crown Court, back in 2006, for six offences of sexual activity with a child under sixteen, plus three offences of child abduction.

At the time he was placed on the sex offenders register indefinitely and had to notify police within three days of any change of address.

Roger Baldwin, prosecuting, said Keegan was released on licence in January 2008, to live at Highfield House probation hostel in Accrington.

He absconded from there the following day, but was arrested on January 29 and recalled to prison.

The defendant was again released on licence in September last year, this time to reside at Haworth House probation hostel in Blackburn.

He absconded from there on September 30 and the police were informed.

Around nine days later, on October 9, Keegan handed himself in at a Liverpool police station. In police interview, he said he had been unhappy about what he saw as a lack of support at the hostel regarding possible future housing.

His barrister, Miss Kath Johnson, said Keegan knew that a prison sentence would follow.

“Many residents in hostels where he was residing have long criminal histories and very serious drug problems. He was frequently asked to get drugs for other residents and found it very difficult to cope with the demands,” she said.

“He reached the end of his tether and left the Blackburn hostel. He went to travel around Wales, living rough for a relatively short period of time.

“He came to his senses, realised what he had done and surrendered himself to the police.”

March 2006

Man jailed for abducting girl, 13

A 37-year-old man from Lancashire who sparked a major police hunt when he disappeared with a 13-year-old girl has been jailed for four years.

Alan Keegan, of no fixed address, pleaded guilty to charges of abduction and sexual activity involving a child.

Preston Crown Court was told the girl was found in November last year when she handed herself in to police.

Keegan was also banned from working with children and placed on the sex offenders’ register indefinitely.

Hilary Banks, prosecuting, said sexually explicit e-mails were found on a computer which suggested that sex had taken place.

The teenage girl had been in his company for 34 days before handing herself into police. The pair had been sleeping rough.