March 28, 2011

Known paedophile who raped child in Welling McDonald’s jailed

A 23-year-old man who sexually assaulted a seven-year-old boy and his four-year-old brother in the toilets of a McDonald’s restaurant, has been jailed for a minimum of seven years.

Simon Archer from Belvedere, was found guilty of one count of oral rape and two counts of penetration at Woolwich Crown Court, after the incident in the McDonald’s restaurant in Welling.

He was sentenced today to an indeterminate sentence for public protection. He will serve a minimum of seven years before he can be considered for parole and remain on the sex offenders register for life.

The four week trial which drew to a close in December, came after the boys were attacked on Sunday, July 4, last year at approximately 2.30pm, whilst their father was in the restaurant with their other siblings.

A bare-chested Archer, who has a previous conviction for sexual activity towards two young children, entered the toilets and began his attack on the brothers. The ordeal only ended when the four-year-old boy fell to the floor in floods of tears and Archer left.

It was days later when the attack came to light after their mother suggested they eat at the same restaurant and the boys refused. After she asked why they were upset, they told her why.

Acting Detective Inspector Jon Summers, Sapphire, which investigates sexual assaults, said: “Simon Archer is a dangerous person who has previously committed sexual offences against strangers and I am pleased that he has been jailed today.

“We cannot rule out the possibility that he may have committed crimes against others and I would urge anyone who has been a victim of a sex crime to contact the police.

“This incident has had a devastating affect on his very young victims and their family who showed immense fortitude and courage in coming forward.”