May 2011

 Booted out at last: The child-molesting migrant who claimed it was his human right to stay in the UK

An illegal immigrant who abducted and molested two young girls and then claimed his human rights would be breached if he was deported from the UK has finally been sent home after a two-year legal battle.

Zulfar Hussain, 48, was due to be deported after being released from prison half-way through his sentence.

He had been convicted of child-sex offences after plying two vulnerable girls with drugs and alcohol before having sex with them.

But Pakistani-born Hussain, who lived with his British wife and three children in Blackburn, launched a legal bid to stay in the UK. Using  Article 8 of the European Convention on Human Rights – which says ‘everyone has the right to respect for his private and family life, his home and his correspondence’ – he argued he should be allowed to return to his wife and children on his release from prison.

But the Home Office fought Hussain’s legal application and kept him in a secure immigration removal centre.

After a two-year battle and a £100,000 bill for the British taxpayer he was finally sent back to Pakistan on Saturday.

Hussain came to the UK illegally in the late 1980s and married his wife in February 1990 before going on to have three children.

He was granted leave to remain in September 1994, before being given indefinite leave a year later.

In 2005 Hussain and an accomplice, Qaiser Naveed, 34 (pic below) a fellow Pakistani national, groomed two 15-year-old girls, who were in local authority care, for sex over a period of months in his adopted home town of Blackburn.

The teenagers were plied with alcohol and ecstasy pills, before the men had sex with them.

Hussain and Naveed were arrested when social workers raised the alarm.

They were both jailed for five years and eight months in 2007 and were both ordered to be deported back to Pakistan following their release.

But while Naveed accepted his fate, Hussain appealed.

April 2010

Paedophile who abducted underage girls for sex can’t be deported… because of HIS human rights

A Pakistani paedophile who abducted and sexually abused two young girls cannot be deported back to his native country because it would breach his human rights, it emerged today.

Zulfar Hussain, 48, was due to be sent home when he is released from prison halfway through his sentence for plying two vulnerable girls with drugs and alcohol before having sex with them.

But there was fury today when it was revealed that he had won an appeal against his deportation on the grounds that he has a wife and child here, meaning it would breach his right to enjoy respect for his family life.

Justice Secretary Jack Straw – in whose constituency some of the abuse took place – today backed a new bid to kick Hussain out, while a campaigner for the deportation of foreign criminals branded the decision to let him stay ‘appalling’.

Hussain and his friend and fellow Pakistani national Qaiser Naveed, 34, groomed two 15-year-old girls for sex over a period of months in his adopted home town of Blackburn, Lancashire.

The teenagers, who were in care, were plied with alcohol and Ecstasy pills, and on one occasion Naveed had sex with one on the back seat of his BMW while the second girl remained in the front with Hussain.

The men caught after social workers raised the alarm.

Hussain was convicted of child abduction, sexual activity with a child and supplying drugs. At his sentencing, Judge Andrew Gilbart QC said: ‘This is a truly shocking offence. When young girls such as these are placed in care it can be because they need protection from themselves.’

Both men were jailed for five years eight months in 2007 and ordered to be deported back to Pakistan following their release, but while Naveed has accepted his fate, Hussain appealed.

He is believed to have lived in Britain legally for ten years and has a wife and child, although he remained a Pakistani national. His appeal was accepted on the grounds that his right to respect for family life would be breached if he was sent back.

The decision was slammed by Paul Houston, whose 12-year-old daughter was knocked down and killed by Iraqi illegal immigrant Aso Mohammed Ibrahim in Blackburn.

Father-of-two Ibrahim – who was banned from driving when Amy was killed in 2003 – was also allowed to stay, but the Home Secretary has appealed.

Mr Houston said: ‘It is difficult to understand a system that lets people like this remain in the country. They are foreign nationals and have no right to be here if they commit such dreadful crimes.’

Conservative home affairs spokesman Chris Grayling said the decision to let Hussain stay in Britain would leave most people ‘absolutely horrified’.

He added: ‘It seems like hardly a week goes by without yet another case of a serious foreign criminal getting away with flouting our immigration system.

‘Ministers should be ashamed of the absurd situation they have allowed to develop in our legalsystem.’

The Home Office is appealing against the blocking of Hussain’s deportation.

Mr Straw, MP for Blackburn, said he was glad it was asking the courts to have another look.

‘If they had not, I would have been straight on to the Home Secretary and he would have nsisted on an appeal,’ he said.

The appeal means Hussain is likely to be sent to a secure immigration removal centre on his release in a few weeks.

His family moved following his imprisonment, but former neighbours in Blackburn said he would not be welcome back.

‘No one wants a paedophile living on their street,’ said one.

‘Parents need to know that their children will be safe.’