June 2014

Jailed again: Man who sold boy, 15, for sex just weeks after being released for child abduction

raymondhawthorne

A paedophile who began prostituting a boy of 15 just weeks after being released from a jail sentence for child abduction has been jailed for 10 more years.

Raymond Hawthorne, 50, groomed the vulnerable teenager and then sold him for sex after meeting him on the internet.

Bolton Crown Court was told Hawthorne controlled a ring of young male prostitutes and sold them to clients across the country.

He even complained to police that there was ‘no money’ in the escort business because of the growth of the internet.

Hawthorne, who was arrested following a major investigation, was sentenced a minimum of 10 years after a judge determined he was a danger to the public.

Judge Peter Davies said Hawthorne would only be allowed out of prison when the parole board is satisfied it is safe for him to be released. He will then serve five years on licence.

He told Hawthorne: “You manipulated these vulnerable young people and you did it for your own financial gain. They needed to be protected from themselves and you knew they were ideal clients for your revolting business.”

Hawthorne, a registered sex offender formerly of Crescent Road, Bolton, admitted controlling a child prostitute, controlling prostitution for gain and breaches of a Sexual Offences Prevention Order when he appeared at court.

Hawthorne was originally jailed in 2003 after he ‘bought’ a boy of 14 who he sold for sex up to eight times a day, while also controlling men who he prostituted.

He was then jailed for seven years after being convicted of child abduction and conspiracy to commit indecent assault. That sentence was increased to nine years on appeal.

The young victim in the case later took his own life.

Hawthorne was released in December 2012 and almost immediately set up a new prostitution ring. He was caught after detectives raided his address and uncovered evidence he was running a prostitution ring. The brave victim of the new offences gave a statement to police.

Det Con Paul Crompton praised the boy’s ‘tremendous courage’. He said after the case: “Hawthorne began reoffending almost as soon as he was released from prison, proving what a truly wicked and unrepentant individual he is.”

2003

Paedophiles who sold boy, 14, are jailed 

Raymond-Hawthorne

Two paedophiles have been jailed for a total of 15 years after a 14-year-old boy was groomed for sex before being abducted and sold into a week-long ordeal of abuse.

Nathan Eyre, 38, from Leeds, (pictured below) was jailed on Tuesday for eight years at Leeds Crown Court for grooming the boy over two years before selling him to Raymond Hawthorne (pictured above) , who ran a nationwide paedophile ring.

Nathan Eyre – Leeds

Hawthorne, 40, of Manchester, was jailed for seven years earlier this week after he pleaded guilty to abduction, indecency with a child, conspiring to live off the earnings of prostitution and conspiring to commit indecent assaults.

Mr Justice Holland said the maximum sentence of seven years for criminals who lived off the proceeds of prostitution was “absurd” and called for the punishment to be reviewed by the Crown Prosecution Service.

He was forced to sentence Eyre to five years because he had to take his guilty plea into account. Eyre was also given three years for conspiring with Hawthorne to sell the boy.

“These cases are rarely as serious as this, but this case demonstrates the seriousness of it at its extreme,” the judge said. “It’s extraordinary the judge is hamstrung in this way, to seven years, when it might be 10 or even life.”

The details of the case were released after a related trial was completed this afternoon at Leeds Crown Court.

Barry Carman, 56, who was one of Hawthorne’s customers, was found guilty of conspiring to commit indecent assault by asking Hawthorne in a text message when the boy was working.

Det Insp Paul Jeffrey, of the Leeds child and public protection unit, said the investigation began after the boy failed to return from school last October.

Detectives found his school uniform at Eyre’s house before mobile phone records led them to Hawthorne and a paedophile network across Britain.

Eyre had groomed the boy to work as an under-age prostitute before selling him to Hawthorne at a fast food restaurant in Thornbury, Bradford, Mr Jeffrey said.

Over the next six days, the boy was taken to numerous clients across Britain and subjected to “humiliating, degrading sexual acts under fear of violence and death”.

Neil Davey, QC, for the prosecution, told the court that the boy had serviced so many clients that it was impossible for him to remember how many men had abused him. “It all just blurred into one week-long episode of sexual abuse,” he said.

Three other men were jailed for abusing the boy. Leslie Loram, 50, or Rochdale, was jailed for three and a half years after admitting two counts of buggery and one of indecent assault on the boy.

David Riley, 56, from Eccles, Manchester, pleaded guilty to indecent assault and was given a two and a half year sentence.

Eric Groves, 44, of Shifnal, Shropshire, pleaded guilty to conspiracy to commit indecent assault at a previous hearing and will be sentenced at a later date. Carman will also be sentenced later.

The parents of the boy, who is now 15, but cannot be named for legal reasons, described the men as “monsters”. “Part of our son’s childhood has gone now and we’ll never get this back,” they said in a statement.

They warned parents to look out for the signs of their children being groomed for sex.

“Recent changes in legislation now mean action can be taken sooner,” they added. “Sadly this came too late for our son but hopefully in future no family will have to suffer the trauma and heartache we have been through over the last four years.”