October 2013

Huddersfield paedophile Paul Shaw ‘too dangerous to be freed’

A pervert locked up for shocking offences against a girl has been told: “You’re too dangerous to be freed”.

Huddersfield paedophile Paul Shaw, jailed indefinitely for taking sickening images of a six-year-old girl he abused, has been told by top judges that he is far too dangerous to be freed.

Shaw used his mobile phone to take indecent photographs as he molested the youngster, who developed into an ‘insecure child’ and suffered nightmares as a result of the abuse she suffered at his hands.

The 45-year-old, of Elder Road, Bradley, was caged indefinitely for public protection – which is almost identical to a life sentence – at Bradford Crown Court in January 2010.

He was ordered to serve at least two years in prison after admitting five counts of sexual assault of a child, one of causing a child to engage in sexual activity and one of possessing indecent photographs of a child.

Shaw, who is still behind bars and will only be freed once the Parole Board is satisfied the danger he poses to children has passed, challenged his open-ended sentence at London’s Criminal Appeal Court.

His lawyers urged the court to free him on the spot, saying his offending risk could be managed in the community.

But dismissing his appeal – and saying he was lucky to be handed such a low minimum term – three of the country’s most senior judges said the danger posed by Shaw was so serious that only an indefinite sentence would be enough to protect the public.

Judge Anthony Morris QC told the court Shaw was arrested in September 2008 after his crimes came to light, but initially denied any wrongdoing.

Police analysis of his computer revealed he had made nearly 40 internet searches in 2007 and 2008 for child pornography.

After his phone was analysed, he admitted taking a photograph of the girl in the shower, but refused to accept responsibility for anything else.

It wasn’t until the day he was due to stand trial that he finally admitted the string of sex offences.

The court heard the victim’s family described how she had gone from being a ‘delightful little girl’ to one who was insecure, suffered nightmares and needed constant reassurance.

Refusing to release Shaw, Judge Morris, sitting with Lord Justice Aikens and Mr Justice Openshaw, said he had rightly been classified as dangerous.

He added: “He has not yet been freed because the Parole Board have not yet deemed it safe. We have no confidence it would be safe for him to be released now, having regard to the danger he poses to the public at large and to young children in particular.

“We find it difficult to understand how a minimum term of as little as two years was fixed in his case and Shaw was fortunate indeed to receive such a short term.”

March 2010

Bradley paedophile Paul Shaw jailed for attacks on girl

AN EVIL paedophile who took sickening images of child abuse using his own mobile phone has been locked up indefinitely by a judge.

The six-year-old victim, who cannot be identified for legal reasons, was said to have changed from a carefree, innocent child into a self-conscious insecure girl who displayed attitudes beyond her years.

Prosecutor Peter Moulson told Bradford Crown Court yesterday that the complainant had lost her trust in adults, repeatedly cried and suffered nightmares after being subjected to the abuse by 41-year-old Huddersfield man Paul Shaw.

Shaw, of Elder Road, Bradley, was jailed indefinitely for public protection after Judge Jonathan Rose said he posed a significant risk to children.

Shaw was arrested in September 2008, but bailed until June last year after he denied all the accusations made against him.

After his mobile phone was analysed Shaw admitted taking photographs of the girl in the shower, but denied being responsible for other images of indecent sexual touching.

On the day of his trial, however, Shaw admitted engaging in sexual activity with the girl, four charges of assault by penetration, one allegation of sexual assault and possessing indecent images of a child.

The judge was told that because Shaw indicated his guilty pleas to the prosecution a few days before the trial the victim did not have to attend court.

Shaw’s computer was also examined after his arrest and although there were no indecent images on it there were 39 references to searches on the internet for child porn between May 2007 and June 2008.

Mr Moulson told the court that the girl described how Shaw would get her to lie on a bed and indecently touch her while taking photographs of the abuse.

Judge Rose told Shaw that he would have to serve a minimum of two years in jail, but he pointed out that he would only be released if the Parole Board decided he no longer posed a risk.

As part of the sentence Shaw was ordered to register as a sex offender for the rest of his life. The judge also imposed an indefinite sexual offences prevention order which includes restrictions on Shaw’s use of the internet and bans him from taking photographs of under 16s with a mobile phone or a camera.