October 2011

Woman tells of her torment after judge frees perverts

Gordon and Ronald Edwards were freed despite pleading guilty to child abuse charges

A WOMAN has spoken of her disgust and anger after a Brierley Hill perverts who subjected her to childhood sex attacks walked free from court.

The victim, who cannot be identified for legal reasons, was just nine-years-old when Gordon Edwards subjected her to horrific abuse which caused a life-time legacy of mental health problems.

Gordon, aged 52, and his twisted brother Ronald, aged 56, were last week both given suspended jail sentences for a catalogue of vile offences involving girls aged between nine and 14 which took place more than 30 years ago.

The victim said: “It is disgusting, a slap in the face which has left their victims humiliated. The judge should be struck off, this is the worse thing he could have done, he just let two perverts out.”

“I am not bothered if it was 30 or 40 years ago, we couldn’t speak out at the time, we were just children.”

Anger boiled over at Wolverhampton Crown Court when Gordon, who lived in Harrison Road, Hawbush, before moving to the Birmingham area, pleaded guilty to eight charges of indecent assault and four of indecency with a child.

He was given a nine-month prison sentence suspended for three years.

Ronald Edwards, of Pritchard Street, Brierley Hill, who admitted seven charges of indecent assault and three of indecency with a child, was given an 18-month jail term suspended for three years.

Both men were ordered to sign the Sex Offenders Register for ten years.

Judge Michael Dudley told the pair: “I cannot sentence on modern guidelines. I have to go back to the sort of sentences that were imposed in those days on young people when there were restrictions on the sentences.”

He said the brothers had both confessed to their crimes, which was “extremely rare in offences of this sort”, and that had spared their victims the ordeal of giving evidence and reliving what took place.

The victim, now in her 40s, says she went to police after confronting Gordon Edwards 18-months ago to ask why he committed the crimes.

She got no answer and then discovered other abuse victims, in court they were expecting the sick brothers to be jailed for five years.

Instead both men are free however the victim says she is facing a life sentence of medication and counselling for anger and depression while living in fear of meeting her abuser in the street.

She said: “We are prisoners in our own homes, there is not a day when it is not on my mind, if there was justice we could have dealt with it.”