Jan 2010

Child porn man jailed indefinitely

A SEX beast who filmed himself abusing young girls to share the footage with fellow paedophiles has been locked up indefinitely.

The public gallery at Basildon Crown Court was packed with relatives of Mark Longman’s victims as details of his sick crimes were read out. The court heard how the IT specialist set up an internet chat room where subscribers could pay £5 to watch girls being abused. Longman, 43, of Charnwood Avenue, Chelmsford, set up a den of abuse at a house in Pitseaville Grove, Vange.

There he would perform bondage on the youngsters which he would film for the net.

Police raided the house in May 2008. Further raids in Wickford and Chelmsford found computers containing more than 3,000 pornographic images of children.

Samantha Leigh, prosecuting, said Longman would ply the girls with alcohol before “punishing” them with bondage.

Lauren Soertsz, mitigating, said the sexual assaults amounted to touching of breasts and a handful of spankings.

She added the images recovered were classified at level one, the least serious category.

Longman admitted a string of offences at a hearing in July last year.

He pleaded guilty to a charge of making and distributing indecent images of a 13-year-old girl, relating to an incident in 2004. He also admitted offences against four girls between October 2007 and May 2008, three counts of sexual assault, five of making indecent images, one of distributing indecent images and one of possession of indecent images.

He admitted possession of criminal property in relation to £2,000 he made from distributing the porn.

Longman also pleaded guilty to a further charge of attempting to pervert the course of justice in July 2008, by trying to persuade a girl to delete indecent images.

Judge Michael Brooke gave Longman an indeterminate prison sentence, which means he could be locked up forever if he is still deemed to be a risk to the public. He must serve a minimum of four-and-a-half years.

Longman’s co-defendant and ex-partner Tracey Scarlett, 42, also of Pitseaville Grove, Vange, appeared in court after admitting one count of cruelty to a child.

She was given a 12-month prison sentence, suspended for 18 months, and an 18-month supervision order.