April 2021

Paedophile with toddler rape photos claims he’s trying to change

A paedophile caught with child rape photos says he’s trying to change by learning the guitar and listening to podcasts.

John Hamilton was previously jailed for two years in 2011 for possessing, downloading and distributing indecent images of children.

The then 27-year-old, from Widnes, was told to sign on the Sex Offenders Register and hit with a 10-year Sexual Offences Prevention Order (SOPO).

That prevented him possessing a photo of any child under 16, unless they were a family member and he had the permission of their parent or guardian.

But when Hamilton rang police to tell them he had a new mobile phone in November 2019, officers discovered 1,205 photos of children on his old device.

And the pervert – now living in Liverpool’s historic Gambier Terrance in the Georgian Quarter – confessed to downloading thousands of sickening files.

Liverpool Crown Court heard Hamilton, now 37, contacted officers on November 22, 2019 to say he had a new mobile and provide its IMEI number to the force.

Kenneth Grant, prosecuting, said he was visited by his offender manager and handed over the phone, which was satisfactory, but was then asked to produce his old one.

This Honor 6 device revealed two photos and a video of young girls aged around six, which Hamilton said he had received on WhatsApp, so the phone was seized.

It was found to contain 515 indecent images of children, a further 690 non-indecent images of children under 16, and also had a VPN attached to it.

Mr Grant said a VPN could be used to ensure greater anonymity on the internet and also assists in concealing a user’s IP address and location.

The court heard there were 243 Category A files – the most serious category showing child rape – plus 243 Category B and 184 Category C files created between October 2017 and May 2019, which were all said to be photos.

The Category A photos including one of the rape of a girl aged between two and four, and another showing the rape of two boys, aged between two and three.

Judge Thomas Teague, QC, said there was also a “very disturbing” Category B photo of a boy aged between 12 and 18 months.

Mr Grant said Hamilton gave two interviews when he “denied any significant wrongdoing”, before he contacted the police and asked to be interviewed again.

In his third interview he said he wanted to “admit everything” before he confessed that “over the years he had viewed thousands” of Category A images.

He admitted downloading thousands of the files between 2016 and 2019 and accepted he knew he was breaching his order, but said he never took the photos himself.

Mr Grant said: “He stated that he looked at images out of boredom. He stated he was attracted to children but he would never hurt a child and he did not want to have sex with a child.”

Hamilton admitted breaching his SOPO and one count of possessing and three counts of downloading indecent images of children.

Judge Teague said if Hamilton had possessed videos of the nature the court had heard about “you would be facing an even longer sentence” as he jailed him for 18 months.

The judge also made a new 10-year Sexual Harm Prevention Order and told him to sign on the Sex Offenders Register for 10 years.

March 2011

Cheshire child abuse images user sentenced to two years

A Cheshire man who was found with indecent images of children on his computer has been jailed for two years.

John Hamilton, 27, from Widnes, pleaded guilty at Warrington Crown Court to 17 charges relating to indecent photographs of children.

He was arrested in April 2010 after the Child Exploitation Online Protection Centre (CEOP) monitored his activity on an internet forum.

The judge also ordered him to sign the sex offenders register for 10 years.

‘Dangerous man’

The 17 charges of possession, making and distributing indecent photographs of children were brought after Cheshire Police searched his home at Hamilton Ditton and found abusive images and video clips of children on his computer.

Speaking after the sentence, Det Con Derek Sheridan said: “We acted swiftly on information received from CEOP and that has resulted in a dangerous man being removed from the streets of Widnes.

“I hope this case shows that we take offences like this very seriously and will always seek to pursue a prosecution against anyone that thinks it is acceptable to exploit the sexualisation of children in this way.”

Hamilton was also made a subject of a sex offender prevention order for 10 years, and banned from working with children for life.