May 2011

Pensioner rapist is sent to prison for 14 years

THE family of a rape victim have spoken out after the man who raped her as a teenager was caged for 14 years.

Colin Roy Goodwin, 66, was convicted of seven counts of rape and three counts of indecent assault on a female at Nottingham Crown Court.

The victim, who cannot be named for legal reasons, was raped by Goodwin, between the ages of 11 and 17.

Another woman was also attacked in her early teens by Goodwin.

Goodwin, of Ilkeston Road, Heanor, had pleaded not guilty to all the offences but was convicted after a trial. He was found not guilty on a further two counts of indecent assault.

This week, speaking on the victim’s behalf, her husband and sister contacted the Ripley and Heanor News in a bid to encourage others who have suffered abuse to step forward and report it to the police.

The victim had finally confided in her sister on Boxing Day, 2009 – many years after the attacks took place, they said.

Her sister said this week the victim was told it was all her fault and that “no one would believe her”.

The husband said: “He’s just a pervert. Fourteen years is a big sentence but to us it isn’t long enough.

“He wouldn’t give evidence. He couldn’t remember names or dates. He didn’t show one bit of remorse.

“Six members of the jury came back for the sentencing. It was quite an emotional time for them as well.”

He revealed that his wife is about to start counselling now that the trial has finished.

He said: “She’s relieved at the verdict. She knows he has been found guilty – but it hasn’t sunk in 100 per cent. It’s not really over for her and I don’t think it will ever go away.”

In a statement to the paper the family said: “We would like to take this opportunity to thank the two officers and their team for their support and care in putting this case together.

“We would like to say that if you or someone you know is – or was – a victim of abuse in the past or now, then speak out, because you will be believed and you will be helped. Please do not suffer in silence.”

Goodwin was sentenced at Nottingham Crown Court on Friday, May 13.