September 2010

Paedophile jailed after seeking to lure boys

A PAEDOPHILE has been jailed after recreating the circumstances in which he indecently assaulted two young boys.

David Anthony, 61, breached his sexual offences prevention order (SOPO) by inviting children on fishing trips, and for overnight stays at his house, just as he had done when he violated youngsters in 2003.

The father-of-three who lives in Old Sodbury, was jailed for four months at Bristol Crown Court on Friday.

Prosecuting, Mark Humphries said Anthony had committed the offence when spending time at a farm in the Yate area.

One of the conditions of the SOPO imposed in 2004 was that he could not undertake any work that would bring him into contact with children under the age of 16.

But the court heard that on the days he helped out he would often be left unsupervised with children who, for a while, had been under that age.

The court heard Anthony took children fishing and asked their parents’ permission for them to stay over at his house.

He also asked the parents whether the children were allowed to drink alcohol.

Mr Humphries said: “The Crown say that this is the case – that there is a suggestion that he has not only breached his sexual offences prevention order but he has also been grooming.”

The court was told Anthony’s 12-year-old victims in 2003 had also been taken fishing.

On the trips, Anthony would ask them to take off their trousers as a forfeit for catching fish, allowing him to touch them sexually.

He had also plied them with alcohol when they stayed at his house and while they were asleep he sexually assaulted one of the boys.

Of the SOPO breach, Mr Humphries added: “It’s clear he was definitely working there for some time.”

He said the children were not supervised at all times.

“Over and above that, they had been on fishing trips with him and stayed over at his house during that period,” Mr Humphries said.

Anthony was arrested when an off-duty police officer, who knew of his previous convictions, went to the farm.

Anthony, who is not in good health, admitted breaching the SOPO between July 1, 2009, and March 13 this year.

Mitigating, John Stokes said that it was important to emphasise that the children in the latest case were not touched sexually and that his client was only working at the farm because the owner had asked him for help.

Mr Stokes added: “He would say he did not have sexual motives and it was innocent.”

But Judge Carol Hagen said: “I cannot accept that.”

Taking into account Anthony’s ill-health, Judge Hagen jailed him for four months and ordered that the SOPO, which has numerous conditions, continues indefinitely on his release.

She said: “It seems to me that this is a clear and deliberate breach.”

Anthony knew perfectly well what he was prohibited from doing yet took again to being at the farm around young children, Judge Hagen added.