May 2009

Death threats to pervert after his child porn arrest

PERVERT James Dale has received death threats after downloading child porn from the internet.

The threats have been made since the 20-year-old’s arrest last August.

Police had found computer images of boys aged 10 to 14 after raiding Dale’s Elliott Street home in Newcastle.

They also recovered images of young girls and one of a child aged two to three.

Dale was arrested on September 5 and in his police interview he admitted downloading and viewing images of children.

He said he was having difficulty with his own sexuality and started viewing the images in March 2010.

Dale told police he was particularly attracted to boys aged 12 to 14 and accepted he had viewed and stored images of boys aged five.

He accepted what he was doing was wrong and expressed remorse.

Dale, who has no previous convictions, pleaded guilty to 10 charges of making indecent photos of a child and one charge of possessing indecent images of a child when he appeared at Stoke-on-Trent Crown Court yesterday.

In total there were 788 still images and 150 moving images downloaded between April 4, 2010 and August 14 last year.

Colin Drew, mitigating, said Dale’s offending started when he followed up a virus in his computer by beginning to download the images on a general basis. He said the defendant has had problems with his own sexuality.

Mr Drew said: “He hangs his head in shame. He won’t go out.

“He has had death threats.”

Mr Drew conceded the images were downloaded for sexual gratification but said there was no contact with any of the children.

He added that Dale is willing to address his behaviour.

Judge Granville Styler decided against sending Dale to custody.

Instead he sentenced him to a three-year community order with supervision and a requirement to undertake the community sex offender group work programme.

The defendant was also ordered to sign the sex offenders’ register for five years and was disqualified from working with children indefinitely.

Judge Styler told Dale: “You were extremely frank in your interview with the police.

“The prosecution accepts you are remorseful because it has occurred to you now that people who look at these photos are encouraging others to take these photos.”

The judge added: “I draw back from a sentence of imprisonment because I think the public will be best served by you having intensive treatment over a three year period.”