January 2008

Paedophile who attacked young girl gets 15 years

A PAEDOPHILE who raped a young girl five times and carried out sex assaults on two other children has been jailed for 15 years.

As Ian Greenall, 47, of Hillside, Burnley, was sent to prison, the judge told him he had made his main victim an emotional wreck.

A harrowing statement from the victim was read to Burnley Crown Court in which she said Greenall was “proper sick” and that the abuse she had endured was “horrendous”.

She said she did not feel any better because Greenall had been convicted and found the experience of giving evidence “traumatic and terrifying”.

The victim, who was just six when she was raped, said: “I don’t have any closure over what happened. I still have to live with what he did to me.”

In November, Greenall was convicted by a jury of five rape charges, 14 counts of indecent assault and two allegations of indecency with a child against the girl, one charge of indecent assault against the second victim and three counts of indecent assault against the third girl.

The offences took place in Burnley and Nelson.

Two of the counts related to encouraging a dog to try and sexually molest the main victim, although on each occasion the animal refused.

Greenall, who used to work for Biffa and a fireplace firm in Brierfield before an industrial accident left him partially disabled, had maintained the charges against him were a conspiracy concocted by the girls.

But sentencing the defendant, Judge Andrew Woolman told him Greenall he had a callous attitude towards young girls and had taken advantage of them.

He said Greenall had been “living on borrowed time” since the offences.

The judge said of the rape victim: “You completely took her over, inflicting lasting psychological damage on her. It’s clear she is an emotional wreck and that’s all your doing. Whether she is able to recover from all that in future, I don’t know, but if she does it will be no thanks to you.”

The judge put Greenall on the sex offender’s register for life, banned him from working with children indefinitely and made a lifetime sexual offences prevention order.

Under the order, the defendant must not have contact with any child under 16 unless supervised or live in an area without informing the Chief Constable before he moves.

He was also banned from attending sport, education, leisure clubs or institutions which would bring him repeatedly into contact with any child under 16 and is not to enter any house where a child under 16 would be.

Ken Hind, defending, said Greenall had not offended in the last 12 years. He now suffered from angina, heart disease and depression, Mr Hind said.

Mr Hind said his wife, family and friends were standing by him.

He said: “He has in many respects a very, very limited future. The sad part of convictions for offences of this nature is that it doesn’t just end with a prison sentence. It goes on for the rest of his life. It’s effectively a life sentence.”

After the hearing, former Detective Constable Paul Hanson, who investigated the case, but is now retired, said it sent out a message that no matter how much time had passed, the police would pursue any complaints of sexual abuse with the utmost seriousness.

He said: “This case was based solely on the bravery of the victims, who presented their evidence at court.

“There was no scientific evidence or DNA.”