August 2019

Serial sex beast branded danger to children jailed for just 220 days for grabbing schoolgirl’s crotch outside Paisley Subway

A SERIAL pervert branded a danger to kids has been jailed for just 220 days – after he grabbed a schoolgirl’s crotch near a Subway in Paisley.

Christopher Murphy was caged for two years in April 2017 for stalking a seven-year-old girl.

He was labelled such a danger to children and was previously placed on the Sex Offenders Register for 10 years and is the subject of a strict Sexual Offences Prevention Order (SOPO).

The SOPO is designed to protect the public, especially young girls, by banning him from going anywhere near anyone under the age of 16.

And Murphy was previously spared jail to try and allow him to be rehabilitated.

But last month the 33-year-old attacked another youngster – just a short time after his previous sentence expired – leaving her traumatised.

Murphy prowled outside a Subway sandwich shop while the 11-year-old child, who can’t be named for legal reasons, was inside with a pal.

And a short time after they left the shop the beast approached them in the street and, without speaking to them, looked them up and down – then sexually assaulted one of the girls.

Last month Murphy, from Paisley, appeared in the dock at the town’s sheriff court to admit his guilt over the attack.

He pleaded guilty to both charges he faced – breaking his SOPO by approaching children under the age of 16, and sexually assaulting his victim by groping her private parts over her clothing.

Procurator Fiscal Depute Claire Rowan told the court the attack took place in Clarence Street, Paisley, around 3pm on Wednesday, July 17, after the girls had been in the Subway sandwich shop on Glasgow Road.

The prosecutor explained: “[The girls] were within the Subway sandwich shop.

“They saw a male of heavy build, short, dark hair, wearing a grey hoody and carrying a carrier bag – this was the now accused.

“He was seen pacing backwards and forwards in front of the shop window.

“They saw him heading west along Glasgow Road, in the direction of Crossflat Crescent.

“The girls left the store and went left on to Clarence Street, in the direction of Ladyburn Street.

“They saw the accused walking towards them.

“He came within touching distance.

“The accused did not engage with either of the girls and walked passed them, looking them up and down.

“He then placed his right hand on to the groin area of [one of the girls], with his thumb at her zip, clasped his hand round her vagina and squeezed.”

A car parked up nearby and Murphy walked off briskly, leaving his victim “deeply upset”, and she told one of the passengers of the car, who flagged down nearby cops.

The officers spoke to Murphy’s victim – noting she was “upset and shaking” – and were able to identify him from CCTV footage and trace him to his home.

While the victim was taken away by police to be interviewed and her friend went home.

Sheriff Seith Ireland was told Murphy was “deeply ashamed” of his actions and “can offer no good explanation for his conduct.”

The judge called for background reports to be prepared ahead of sentencing.

When Murphy returned to the dock to learn his fate, Sheriff Ireland slammed him for his actions – and said jail was the only appropriate sentence due to his repeated sexual offending.

He pointed out the maximum sentence available to him was just 12 months, and said “the public at large would expect this type of assault, on a girl who was just 11-years-old, by handling her private parts” to be dealt with by way of a prison sentence.

Murphy was then caged for 220 days, reduced from 330 days as he admitted his guilt, and backdated the sentence to last month, when he was first remanded in custody.

He was also placed the creep on the Sex Offenders’ Register for five years.

July 2019

Dangerous serial paedophile re-offends again

A dangerous serial paedophile who sexually assaulted a child after attacking her outside a sandwich shop in Renfrewshire is back behind bars.

Christopher Murphy admitted attacking the 11-year-old in broad daylight after she visited the Subway shop on Glasgow Road, Paisley, with a friend.

The 33-year-old, who has a string of convictions against young girls, had just been released from a two-year prison sentence for stalking a seven-year-old.

In 2009, Murphy stalked a 14-year-old as she was out running, after staring at her – then sexually assaulted her. He was placed on probation for three years for that attack.

In another attack in 2012, Murphy appeared in a street and assaulted a nine-year-old girl, pinning her against a wall and placing his hands between her legs.

Paisley Sheriff Court heard his latest victim was left traumatised after the incident that took place on Clarence Street, at around 3.30pm on Wednesday.

The sex attacker was seen prowling outside the shop while the youngsters were inside.

Then after they left the shop Murphy approached them on the street and, without speaking to them, looked them up and down before sexually assaulted one of the girls.

The details of the attack emerged late on Thursday when Murphy, of Belmont Road, Paisley, appeared in court.

As well as pleading guilty to assaulting the girl he was also admitted to breaking a strict Sexual Offences Prevention Order that banned him from approaching anyone under the age of 16.

The order was designed to protect the public from the consistent attacker after he was convicted of attacking three girls aged seven, nine and fourteen

Murphy has been remanded in custody until he is sentenced next month.

June 2012

Sex beast locked up

A sex pervert who attacked a schoolgirl as her shocked mum looked on in horror has been handed a 16-month jail sentence.

And Christopher Murphy has been warned he will be closely monitored on his eventual release from prison to ensure he doesn’t commit a similar act.

A three-year extended sentence has been put in place so if the attacker steps out of line once liberated, he will be hauled straight back behind bars.

Paisley Sheriff Court last month heard how the schoolgirl’s mum was horrified as Murphy appeared in the street and assaulted her nine-year-old daughter, pinning her against a wall and placing his hands between her legs.

The frantic mother ran at him, grabbed hold of his clothing and bravely tried to detain him until help could arrive.

The 26-year-old, who has recognised psychological problems, managed to break free and take to his heels.

But in the struggle, his jacket was pulled off and when police arrived to investigate, they found personal items in the pockets which led them to the fiend responsible.

When quizzed by cops, he admitted: “I assaulted a girl.”

The court heard how the shocking incident happened in the town’s Greenlaw Avenue, as the woman and her children were walking on the footpath at around 7.15pm on February 24.

The schoolgirl was following her mum a short distance behind her when Murphy appeared from nowhere, put his arm out and pulled her towards a wall, effectively blocking her path.

Depute fiscal Ian Logan told the court: “Her mother looked back and saw him place his hand between her legs and touching her private parts on top of her clothing.

“She confronted him, grabbed hold of him and there was a struggle before he was able to break free and make off.”

Murphy has been remanded in custody after admitting the offence on indictment in court.

Defence agent John McElroy presented a psychological report to show that his client had difficulties which had been identified earlier.

Sentence was deferred for a more detailed assessment and the accused was remanded in custody for reports to be prepared.

When he returned to court to learn his fate, Sheriff Paul Crozier jailed him for sixteen months, reduced from two years due to his early guilty plea, and put a three-year extended sentence in place to act as a deterrent against further offending on his release.

Murphy is prohibited from working with children and his name was also placed on the Sex Offenders Register for 10 years.