A 34-year-old man with ‘an attraction to teenage girls’ has been handed a community sentence and ordered to be placed on the sex offenders’ register after admitting sexually assaulting two youngsters.
Father-of-two Christopher Clark groped the girls aged 13 and 14 while he was babysitting for them.
And he also allowed the girls to look at pornography on his mobile phone when he was looking after them on another occasion.
But after hearing he had never been in trouble before and accepted he had a problem a judge put him on a sex offenders’ programme.
Colin Meeke, prosecuting, told Swindon Crown Court Clark visited the victim’s family in August last year for a barbecue.
He had taken his caravan so he could stay the night and during the evening, one of the girls was in the vehicle with him when he tried to kiss her on the lips, and it was the following morning when the touching took place.
Mr Meeke said the offence, between the end of May and mid August last year, came to light after he was looking after them when they saw the pornography on his phone.
“Morally if not legally he should have stopped them watching it,” he said.
When the girls told one of their mum’s she contacted him and told him he had a problem, with him texting back agreeing with her.
Clark, formerly of Leaze Road, Melksham, but now living on Sandridge Road, admitted two counts of sexual activity with a child and one of attempt.
Tim Hills, defending, said “He has led a completely blameless life until all this happened.
“He is married, still married, though separated. No-one had any idea anything like this was likely to happen.”
He said his client had opened up with the probation officer who prepared the pre-sentence report showing how remorseful he is.
“He seems to have developed over the years an attraction to teenage girls which must be dealt with,” he said.
Passing sentence Judge Douglas Field said “There is no doubt you have developed a problem, an attraction to teenage girls.
“You admitted that from the outset and admitted it to the probation officer. I agree the public interest is best served by you attending the Thames Valley Sex Offender Programme.”
He imposed a three-year community order and told him he must register as a sex offender for five years.
The judge also imposed a sexual offences prevention order, restricting his liberty, for five years and said he may be banned from working with children.
A 34-year-old man has pleaded guilty to two charges of sexual activity with a child.
Christopher Clark, of Leaze Road, Melksham carried out the offences on the girls, aged 13 and 14 years old, between the end of May and mid August last year.
And he also admitted a charge of attempting to have sexual activity with the younger girl between during a similar period of time.
At Swindon Crown Court, Clark denied two counts of causing a child to watch sexual activity and also pleaded not guilty to another count of sexual activity with the 13-year-old and prosecutors said they will not be seeking a trial on those matters.
The case was adjourned to Friday, April 5 for a pre-sentence report and Clark was released on bail on condition he does not go to Dilton Marsh or contact witnesses.
He must also register as a sex offender, and the period he will have to keep registering will be determined by the final sentence.