January 2006

Rapist was on bail for another attack

A TEENAGE boy raped a 13-year-old Hartlepool schoolgirl – while on bail for a sex attack in another town.

Kevin James William Butler was jailed for two years at Teesside Crown Court after admitting to rape and assault by penetration on the girl.

But today it emerged that Butler, from Sunderland, committed the attack after being bailed to an address in Hartlepool on another rape charge.

He stayed at the address after being accused of raping a 25-year-old woman in a field next to Rye View, in Ryhope, Sunderland, on Friday, September 3, 2004.

He pleaded not guilty at Newcastle Crown Court to two counts of rape relating to that incident, but was convicted on April 22, last year.

He was sentenced to four years in a young offenders institution, with a two-year extended period of licence.

On Monday, however, Teesside Crown Court Judge Leslie Spittle added the extra two years to Butler’s time inside.

Police say Butler lured the girl, her younger sister and a group of other local children into the house on October 23, 2004, where he plied them with alcohol.

Once the other youngsters had left, he invited the two sisters upstairs. He put the younger girl in a bedroom to play with a PlayStation game, before inviting his victim into another room where he committed the offence.

A spokesman for Teesside Crown Court confirmed that “the defendant was on bail for rape when the offence in Hartlepool was committed”.

He was later charged with rape and assault by penetration, and pleaded guilty on Monday this week. Butler committed the rape in Sunderland on a woman who was on her way home from the Guide Post Inn, in Ryhope, at around 10.30pm.

He dragged the woman into some bushes and subjected her to a “vicious” ordeal which left her “dazed and crying”, Judge Tim Hewitt heard.

The teenager, of Shaftsbury Avenue, Sunderland, was questioned by police after the attack and denied having sex with the woman.

He told police he would never rape anyone and said the suggestion was “ridiculous”.

But when presented with DNA evidence taken from the woman during a medical examination, the 16-year-old told police he had fallen asleep drunk in the grass but was woken to find a woman on top of him having sex with him.

He said he was too “embarrassed” to admit this in earlier questioning and claims it was he who was the victim of a sexual attack.