March 2017

Serial sex beast involved in horrific gang rape of Paisley teen back in dock


A serial sex beast who raped a Paisley schoolgirl has been back in the dock.

Vile Thomas McArthur — who was also involved in a horrific gang rape of another teenager — broke the strict conditions of his release from a 10-year prison stretch.

Originally from Ferguslie Park, the 58-year-old has a shocking record of sexual violence against very young women, dating back to the early 1980s.

Now living in Johnstone and suffering from prostate cancer, he cut a frail and grizzled figure when he appeared in the dock at Paisley Sheriff Court charged with flouting the terms of the Sex Offenders’ Act.

McArthur was just 23 when he was part of a gang of six — four men and two women — involved in the kidnapping, beating and raping of a 17-year-old girl at a house in Paisley.

He was caged for four years at the High Court in Glasgow.

His five co-accused were sentenced to a total of 20 years for their part in the attack.

Then, in 2001, McArthur struck again, pouncing on a 15-year-old girl as she slept and raping her.

The traumatised teenager was forced to relive the terrifying ordeal at the High Court in Paisley in 2003, where the then 45-year-old monster was later found guilty and jailed for 10 years.

McArthur, now of Rankine Street, Johnstone, agreed to abide by the terms of his the Sex Offenders’ Act when he was eventually released from prison.

However, the court heard this week that he failed to inform the police within three days of setting up a new bank account, a strict condition of his release under the legislation.

He pleaded guilty to possessing the bank card between July 1, 2016 and December 14, 2016 at his address and at Mill Street police office in Paisley, where he failed to comply with his release order, without a reasonable excuse.

Fiscal depute Margaret McCallum told the court: “Because of the conviction, the accused is required to comply with notification requirements, one of which is the requirement to register bank account details within three days of any change of details.

“Two officers visited his home address on December 14, 2016, and at the time he was asked if there was any change in his financial circumstances.

“He presented a new RBS debit card dated from July 2016. The officers reminded him the notification required him to register it within three days of any change in his circumstances.

“The accused replied he wasn’t aware he hadn’t done this. Police informed him the matter was being reported.”

His defence agent Kirsty McGeehan said McArthur, who was recently diagnosed with prostate cancer, admitted he should have been aware of his legal requirements, but he accepted his responsibility with an early plea of guilty.

But McArthur was warned that breaking terms of his release could have led to a jail stretch.

Sheriff Tom McCartney said: “Notification requirements you are subject to are very important and failure to comply with them is a serious matter, which very often results in a prison sentence.

“Because you have accepted responsibility for this at the earliest opportunity, I will not do that.”

He fined McArthur £400, reduced from £600, because he admitted his guilt early on in the case.

June 2003

RAPE BEAST JAILED; 10 years for thug who attacked sleeping girl

A BEAST who raped a 15-year-old girl as she lay in a drunken sleep was jailed for 10 years yesterday.

And a jury discovered it was the second time sick Thomas McArthur, 45, had been jailed for rape.

The High Court in Paisley heard he attacked the girl while his wife was on holiday in Spain.

After a night on the town, McArthur had gone to a house where teenagers had gathered for a drinks party.

His victim “was staggering around” after consuming cocktails and brandy.

She was helped to bed after being sick and McArthur, of Paisley, fell asleep on a couch.

The girl, who is now aged 17, said the first she knew that anything was wrong was when one of her pals entered the bedroom and demanded to know what was going on.

She told the court: “The first thing I remember is waking up with him on top of me.

“He was having intercourse with me and touching me all over my body.

“I was shocked, I didn’t know what to say. I was scared and I was sore.

“I tried to calm myself down and got out of the house.”

The teenager admitted she “was so drunk” she was virtually unconscious in bed.

McArthur denied ever being in bed with the girl during a taped interview with detectives.

Asked if he had sex with the girl, he said: “Under no circumstances.”

But swabs taken from his victim for analysis showed traces of his DNA.

In court, he denied that while the teenager was asleep and unconscious and under the influence of alcohol, he lay on top of her, had sexual intercourse without consent and raped her.

It was only after the jury returned a unanimous guilty verdict that his earlier conviction was revealed.

He was sentenced to four years in jail for a rape in Glasgow back in 1981.

Sentencing McArthur, Lord McEwan said his offence was “scandalous and disgraceful, with absolutely no mitigating factors”.

He told McArthur he had taken advantage of a girl who was “but a child and a virgin” while she was vulnerable due to alcohol.

McArthur, who is unemployed, showed no emotion as Lord McEwan jailed him for 10 years.

The judge said the term of imprisonment would have to reflect the gravity of his crime and his previous conviction.