April 2021

Rapist breached sex offender licence by flying to Philippines

A convicted rapist who twice went on foreign holidays including to the Philippines without telling the police was put back behind bars today.

James Farquhar, who served 12 years in prison for repeatedly raping a teenage girl, was required to tell the police if he applied for a passport or went abroad under the terms of the Sex Offenders Register.

But Liverpool Crown Court heard that he applied for a passport in November 2019, and the following March he flew to the Philippines for a month’s holiday.

Derek Jones, prosecuting, said Farquhar’s offender manager was told about the jaunt on his return and enquiries began into his passport acquisition.

However Farquhar was not interviewed by Merseyside Police until November 2020 – by which time he had also spent a week on the Greek island of Cos a few weeks earlier.

Mr Jones said that if the police had had any particular concerns about what he had been doing in the Philippines he would have been arrested sooner.

Judge Garrett Byrne, sentencing, today told 62-year-old Farquhar: “This was flagrant disregard of the notification requirements which are designed to manage the risk you pose to the community.”

Judge Byrne said that in interview Farquhar had “feigned ignorance of the requirements” but had in fact travelled in full knowledge that he was breaking the rules.

Farquhar, of Ford Lane, Litherland, but formerly of Southport, pleaded guilty to three offences of breaching the Sex Offender Register requirements and was jailed for nine months.

He was jailed at Liverpool Crown Court in 2005 for 15 years for five offences of rape, involving a girl aged between 16 and 20, and was ordered to sign the Register indefinitely. The jail term was reduced on appeal to 12 years.

He received a suspended prison sentence in February 2018 for battery of his ex-partner and staying at her home for longer than seven days without notifying the police.

January 2005

Rapist jailed for 15 years

A Southport man was jailed for 15 years for raping a teenage girl.

Convicted of five rape offences, James Farquhar was told by Judge William George at Liverpool crown court that he had embarked on a campaign of rape and degradation.

He ordered 42-year-old Farquhar to be put on the sex offenders register for life and banned him from working with children indefinitely.

Farquhar, of Bispham Road, had denied the offences, which occurred when his victim was aged between 16 and 20.