April 2013

Cumbrian man jailed for sexual activity with a 14 yr old girl


A man who drunkenly had sex with a 14-year-old girl has been jailed for two years.

Mark Douglas, 47, formerly of Oaklands Drive, Upperby, Carlisle, was sentenced at Carlisle Crown Court today, 15 months after the incident.

He had previously admitted one charge of engaging in sexual activity with a child.

Douglas had originally been accused of raping the girl in a flat near Penrith bus station but the charge was later amended after both prosecution and defence agreed the sexual activity had been consensual.

The court heard the former shop worker met the girl while they were both sat at a bus stop on December 30, 2011. They got talking and ended up going back to a flat opposite the bus station, which belonged to a friend of Douglas.

Prosecutor Brendan Burke told the court that it was not in dispute that the girl had gone willingly back to the flat, that she willingly drank vodka and Coke, took off her own clothes and that the teenager “willingly participated in all sexual activity”.

Mr Burke said the sexual contact was agreed as being “as per the defence case statement”, which states that full intercourse did not occur.

Kim Whittlestone, defending, said Douglas had shown clear remorse – and that a witness statement from a former colleague supported this, as she described Douglas as “looking a mess” the morning after. He subsequently confessed in part to the colleague.

Sentencing him, Judge Barbara Forrester accepted the girl had been an equal partner but said that did not excuse Douglas’s actions.

He was sentenced to two years in prison but she said the month he had spent in custody and the 15 months he had spent under curfew and forced to live with a relative in Wiltshire while on bail would all be counted towards time served.

Douglas was also ordered to sign the sex offenders’ register and remain on it for 10 years, was disqualified from working with children and a sex offenders’ prevention order was also imposed.