May 2013

Two-year abuse hell at hands of sick torture monster

bruce

A COURAGEOUS victim of abuse has vowed she will NEVER be beaten by the brute who made her a sex slave at age 14.

In a defiant message to psychopath Bruce Balfour, she declared herself a SURVIVOR — as she revealed her horrific ordeal at the hands of the monster who imprisoned her when she was just a child.

The female, 25 — who was raped, tortured and abused by evil Balfour — believes she was denied justice when prosecutors dropped sex charges against brute Balfour.

She bravely waived her right to anonymity days after her 40-year-old Balfour was caged for life for a 17-year campaign of terror against her and four other women.

She said: “My nightmares feel so real that I stay awake to get away from him — however I’m a survivor and I will survive this.

“He’s a vile, sadistic, evil beast who should never get out of jail. He may have got away with it in court but I know what he is.

“I’m raging the Crown could drop all the sexual stuff and this never went before a jury.

“He should have been charged with modern day child slavery — that’s what he subjected me to.”

She told how her two-year ordeal began in 2001 when she was living with her foster carer’s relative in Glenrothes, Fife.

But Balfour moved in the day after the family member — a pal of the fiend — was arrested.

She said: “He came to the door, walked in and said, ‘You know the score. You’ll do what you’re told or else you’ll be cracked’. I decided to stand up for myself and I said this wasn’t happening, I was not going to be treated badly.

“He lunged for me and slapped me so hard I flew into a built-in wardrobe.

“He smirked at me and said ‘You’ll not do that again will you’ and walked away.”

She claims she soon faced violent sexual assaults and humiliation if she disobeyed him.

She said: “He grabbed me and forced me to perform a sex act on him. After the horror was done, he calmly lit a cigarette. It was like it was normal to him.

“It then happened maybe twice a week and then it became every single night or morning.”

She was then forced to carry out Balfour’s every sadistic whim and recalled how the animal would BITE her.

She said: “I had to do the dishes, washing, make the tea.

“I did all the general housework and made the place neat and tidy.

“If he wanted a beer, it was a two level house so I had to go downstairs and get him one.

“If I didn’t do what I was told or gave any lip back I got battered or worse.

“He’d headbutt me, bite my head, throw lighters at me, spit at me. He burst my eye-socket too, but that was the only injury on my face.”

And he blackmailed her by saying he would KILL her and her sister if she tried to flee.

She said: “He said he had people watching the house and if I left, or anyone ever came to help, they would get it too.

“I was petrified. Any time he moved, I jumped.

“He sat with a knife and ran it up and down my legs and between them saying ‘you want it?’ He told me he would take me and my sister to the woods, make me watch him torture and kill her, then torture and kill me too.”

She finally escaped her hell in 2003 when she was moved to another carer in another part of the country.

She kept the abuse to herself until police arrived at her door last year after being approached by another of his victims.

She said: “It all came flooding back. I was back to being that terrified, battered and abused teenage girl.” Despite reliving her terror, prosecutors allowed Balfour to plead guilty to just assaulting her for a four month period — which including hurling her against a wall and a piece of furniture.

The brave victim — who now suffers post-traumatic stress disorder — added: “The Crown put so much pressure on me to relive this.

“Then they dropped it with no explanation but I’m not a victim — I’m a survivor.”

We told on Friday how violent Balfour — described as having “pyschopathic” traits by doctors — was given a lifelong restriction order that could keep him behind bars until he dies.

Balfour, from Glenrothes, was originally accused of sex attacks on her but the Crown dropped the charges before the High Court in Edinburgh hearing.

He pleaded guilty to abuse charges against the five women last August.

He even attacked two of his victims when they were PREGNANT with his children. Judge Lord Tyre told Balfour, who can apply for parole in four years, that he had a horrifying love of violence and would only be released if he could prove he was no longer a danger.

He said: “You consider it normal to use violence in order to have your needs met.

“If you were to become involved in a relationship in the future with a woman, they too would be placed at risk.”

Balfour waged his twisted campaign of terror at addresses in Glenrothes and nearby Markinch from 1994 to 2011.

He initially denied the allegations of abuse, telling police that the claims were “rubbish” and “nonsense”.

Defence lawyer Herbert Kerrigan QC told the court the beast had drink and anger management problems.

Last night the Crown Office claimed there was not enough evidence to nail Balfour on sexual assaults. A spokesman said: “The procurator fiscal at Kirkcaldy received a report concerning Bruce Balfour in connection with alleged offences occurring between 1989 and 2011. At the end of the investigation, there was insufficient evidence to prove the sexual allegations.

“This was explained sensitively to the victims.

“In August last year the accused pleaded guilty to serious charges including assault to severe injury, permanent disfigurement and danger to life.

“We note that the court sentenced Balfour to four years imprisonment and an order for lifelong restriction.”

FOR help, contact Women’s Aid, the police domestic abuse liaison officer, your local social work office or call the domestic abuse helpline on 0800 027 1234.

Rape Crisis Scotland who campaign for an end to sexual violence can be contacted every day 6pm to midnight on 08088 01 03 02 or 0141 353 3091. They offer free and confidential initial and crisis support and information.