March 1997


Paedophile James Robertson was reported by his dad just 12 HOURS before he stripped and bound his third young girl victim. 

Tam Robertson showed social workers a gagged Sindy doll and a rope he found under his son’s mattress. 

But nothing was done about his warning. 

Robertson, 26, was jailed for life yesterday for a horrific attack on a seven-year-old girl. 

Tam said last night Robertson also had a colouring book picture of a child with her wrists and ankles bound, and a stash of stories where he fantasised about tying up and raping girls. 

Tam, 49, of Dunfermline, said: “I took all the stuff to the local social work office because I knew what he’d done before and was worried about what he could do. 

“I was told there was nothing anyone could do as James had not committed any crime. 

“Later that night I got a call at work saying James had attacked another wee girl.” 

He added: “I went ballistic. If I had got my hands on him I would have killed him. 

“Now I feel absolutely nothing for him. I won’t even visit him in prison.” 

Robertson abducted the seven-year-old near her Dunfermline home in November last year. 

He partially stripped her, tied her up and covered her eyes and mouth with tape. 

He planned to molest the girl, but he dumped her in a bin area when he heard her mum calling for her. 

Doctors say she could have been suffocated by the gag. 

Robertson escaped with probation in 1992 after he undressed and tied up a six- year-old girl. 

A year later, he was jailed for six months for a similar attack in Methil, Fife. He received no treatment behind bars. 

The Daily Record’s Charter for our Children calls for compulsory treatment for jailed paedophiles, and stricter supervision after they are released. 

At the High Court in Edinburgh yesterday, Lord McFadyen told Robertson he should serve at least eight years of his life sentence for the third attack. 

The judge said the girl went through a “truly terrifying experience”. 

He added: “To leave a child of that age – half-clad, tied up and gagged – out of doors on a cold November night plainly ran a very serious risk to her life. 

“What you did to her also ran a serious risk of causing deep psychological harm.” 

Lord McFadyen said Robertson’s previous convictions and twisted fantasies made his crime more serious. 

Robertson looked impassive as he was given life. 

But as he was led away, he nodded to the judge and said “thanks”. 

Robertson got counselling from psychiatrists in 1985, after he was expelled from school for tying up a girl. 

He got more medical help in 1987, 1988 and 1990. 

Tam said more should have been done for his son after his first conviction in 1992. 

He added: “I don’t know what happened with James. 

“I have two other children and they are both decent, ordinary kids.” 

Fife Council social work boss Mike Sawyer said he couldn’t comment on individual cases. But he added: “It is particularly difficult when someone has not committed an offence.”