May 2013

Man found with child abuse images jailed for 3 years

A man has been sentenced to three years in prison for the downloading of about 8,000 child abuse images files and images

Evan Harries, aged 44, of 5 Hantoon Rd, Maudlintown, Wexford town, having already pleaded guilty, came before Judge Barry Hickson at Wexford Circuit Criminal Court yesterday. 

Harries pleaded guilty to the possession and production of child pornography in or around Nov 2011, at his home. 

Det Garda Mary McCormack told the court of a number of addresses traced ultimately leading to the defendant’s address. Having carried out a search of the house in or around Nov 14, 2011, after gathering intelligence regarding network usage, documents relating to children performing sexual acts were located, while a number of printed images were also found. 

A hard drive from a computer and also from a laptop were also discovered which were seized and examined. A number of images and text documentation were located on the disks. 

Det Garda McCormack said the defendant was arrested on Nov 22, 2011, and brought to Wexford Garda Station where he made full admissions. 

Det Garda Cathal Delaney told the court that there were about 3,000 images on the laptop of a child pornography nature, which included children as young as three years of age involved in sexual activity, while there were 101 text files of a child pornography nature. Approximately 4,500 images were found on a hard drive, while text material came to 88 copies. 

Det Garda Delaney said the matter came to light through pro-active monitoring of the internet. 

Michael Delaney, defending, described Harries as having serious emotional disorder problems. 

He said the defendant who has been in custody since Nov 22, 2011, of his own volition as he was aware of the outcome of such offences, is originally from Wales and came from a difficult background. 

He also indicated that nobody else in the house was involved for he made it clear he was entirely responsible for the pornographic material. He co-operated fully with the gardaí and pleaded guilty immediately. 

Describing it as a despicable and most serious offence, Judge Hickson sentenced the defendant to two years on each of two counts of production to run concurrently. He also sentenced the defendant four years in prison on each of five counts of possession, to run concurrently, suspending the last year on each of the five counts. 

The sentence was backdated to Nov 22, 2011, while on completion of his sentence, the judge said Harries would leave the jurisdiction and not re-enter the country for a period of 25 years.