January 2012

East Lothian child sex attacker Jaimi Watt jailed for six years for ‘horrific’ injuries on toddler

An East Lothian man who indecently assaulted a 2 year old toddler leaving her “horrifically” injured has been jailed for six years.

Jaimi Watt of Wallyford committed an “appalling act of violence” on the two-year-old, the High Court in Edinburgh heard.

The toddler refused to open her eyes for 24 hours after the assault and required surgery for her injuries.

Lord Woolman said Watt would be supervised on release and remain on the sex offenders register indefinitely.

Watt earlier admitted assaulting the child to her severe injury by punching her on the head, biting and scratching her and sexually abusing her on 16 March last year.

Lord Woolman said it was impossible to say whether the crime would have a long term psychological impact on the victim.

The judge told Watt that he would have faced an eight year prison sentence but for his guilty plea in the case.

Lord Woolman said: “This was an appalling act of violence. Because of the risk you present it is also appropriate to impose an extended sentence. That is to protect the public.”

The toddler was taken to the Royal Hospital for Sick Children in Edinburgh by relatives after the attack.

Advocate depute Alison Di Rollo earlier told the High Court in the city: “Police and medical staff who were present as events unfolded speak of a distinct feeling of mutual shock in the examination room, of recoiling as her injuries became apparent and of having difficulty keeping emotions in check.”

A forensic physician who took part in an examination of the victim said she had the worst genital injuries he had ever seen in a child or adult.

A consultant paediatrician who was called in said she had never seen such a seriously traumatised child.

The child was also found to have a adult human bite mark on her right thigh, a bruised mouth and swollen lip as well as scratches.

‘Cried inconsolably’

Watt was left looking after the girl when her mother went to work.

A relative arrived to pick up the child for nursery but got a fright when she saw her.

The prosecutor said the girl cried inconsolably during the journey.

Ms Di Rollo said: “All the way she kept her eyes shut. She did not open them again until the following morning.”

The advocate depute said an examination of the assault victim had to be carried out under general anaesthetic because of the child’s distress.

She said the consultant paediatric surgeon, Amanda McCabe, who operated on her, described her internal injuries as “horrific”.

Forensic physician Dr Michael Kaim said the girl would have been in agony because of her injuries and presented as a severely abused child

Watt had contacted a friend and told him that the child “had been a nightmare”. He later texted him stating: “They have said they think someone has interfered with her, a was the only c— wi her and its no f—ing right. My life is f—ed av no done nothing.”

In an effort to trace Watt police contacted transport firms and issued a description of him. The day after the attack a bus driver saw a man fitting the description board his vehicle and pay for a ticket to Wallyford.

Police were alerted and officers stopped the bus at Gullane golf club and boarded the bus and handcuffed Watt. He made “no comment” replies to questions from police during an interview.