June 2013

Babysitter jailed over attempted murder of four-year-old boy


A TWISTED babysitter repeatedly stabbed a four-year-old boy then left the lad to die after hurling him out of the front door on to the pavement in the pouring rain.

Steven Frogg, 52, was jailed for 16 years for the attempted murder of the youngster whom he was supposed to be looking after while his dad went shopping.

Frogg broke the boy’s skull in three places by attacking him with at least one knife as he played with kittens at his flat in Mansfield, Nottinghamshire.

His victim, who cannot be named for legal reasons, was found seriously injured in the street, after Frogg threw his body out of the front door and on to the pavement in the pouring rain.

The Recorder of Nottingham, Judge Michael Stokes QC, told him: “This lovely little boy was left with you by his father whilst he went shopping.

“There was therefore a degree of trust being imposed upon you to ensure that he would be safe.

“That was the worst decision his father had ever made.

“Whatever caused you to behave as you did, you made a ferocious and frenzied attack on that little boy.”

Frogg, of Frederick Street, Mansfield, was due to stand trial for attempted murder but changed his plea to guilty earlier this week.

Prosecutor John Lloyd-Jones QC told Nottingham Crown Court that in the attack the boy suffered five slash wounds to his scalp which fractured his skull in three places.

He also had knife wounds to his neck and back and was kept in hospital for almost a week.

Shortly after the attack, Frogg was captured on CCTV at the front door of his home throwing the seriously injured boy on to the street outside.

When cops arrived at the scene they found Frogg calmly sitting on his sofa watching a children’s television programme before arresting him.

The court heard that neighbours were alerted to the incident after some reported hearing a “terrible and prolonged scream like someone in real pain” and one local resident called police and paramedics after seeing the boy injured in the street.

Mr Lloyd-Jones told the court that, from the nature of the attack and the way Frogg treated the youngster afterwards, it was clear that he had intended to kill the boy.