July 2013

Jailed For Historic Sex Abuse


Kenneth Rushworth (born 8/11/1941) of Coniston Road, Stretford pleaded guilty to four counts of indecent assault, indecency with a child and causing actual bodily harm.

On Friday 19 July 2013, at Manchester Minshull Street Crown Court, he was sentenced to a total of four and a half years in prison.

He has also been ordered to sign the Sex Offenders’ Register.

Detective Constable Rachel Di Nicola said: “The three victims suffered abuse at the hands of Rushworth between 1972 and 1978. Two of the victims were just teenage girls the abuse started.

“It is very brave of them to have come forward after this many years and now they will be able to hopefully get closure for these events and progress with their lives. The length of the sentence reflects the serious nature of the offences committed.

“I understand that victims often feel that the easiest thing to do is simply try and forget about the past and keep their experiences bottled up.

“But you can never really shake off what has happened, while the person who carries out this offending often lives a normal, free life.

“Bringing that person to justice is often the only way for victims to truly move on.

“There is no doubt in my mind that Greater Manchester Police is committed to thoroughly investigating all reports of historic abuse and that we can make the experience as easy as possible for the victims.”

Anyone who has been a victim of rape or sexual assault can contact Greater Manchester Police on 101 or 999 in an emergency. GMP has specially trained officers in place to provide a first class response to victims and help support them through the criminal justice process.

St Mary’s Sexual Assault Referral Centre in Manchester, can also be contacted on 0161 276 6515. This provides a comprehensive and coordinated forensic, counselling and medical aftercare service to anyone in Greater Manchester who has experienced rape or sexual assault. Services are available on a 24-hour basis and people can access them either as a self-referral or via Greater Manchester Police.