July 2013

Jail for Chatham sex beast after locking victim in bedroom and raping her


A sex beast who raped a teenage girl after locking her in a bedroom and putting a duvet and pillow over her head to stifle her screams has been jailed for nine years.

Babritundre Mustapha planned to deny the offence, claiming the 16-year-old victim consented, but pleaded guilty on the first day of his trial.

A judge told the 28-year-old there was a background of “sustained coercion” and detention against the victim’s will.

Maidstone Crown Court heard how she went to Mustapha’s home in First Avenue, Chatham, with a friend in August last year.

Prosecutor Catherine Donnelly said there were about six African men there. Four of them left and the girl became uncomfortable as the conversation turned to sex.

Mustapha asked her to go to his bedroom with him and she only agreed to if he kept the door open.

“On entering the room he tried to kiss her,” said Miss Donnelly. “She told him she had a boyfriend.

“He said: ‘I don’t care.’ He tried to push her onto the mattress and she resisted.

“He closed the door and locked it. He forced her onto the mattress. She screamed and asked him to stop. He placed a duvet and pillow over her head to stop her screaming.

“He said: ‘You are going nowhere. Shut up.’ She told him she didn’t want to have sex with him. He raped her, pinning her down on the mattress.

The teenager’s friend heard the screams but could do nothing because of the locked door. Another man in the room told her: “Leave them alone, they are having fun.”

She left and ran to a nearby kebab shop and asked staff to call the police

Soon afterwards, the distressed victim arrived and said: “I have just been raped. Why did you leave me?”

Miss Donnelly told Judge Martin Joy: “The mood in that house was: ‘Here we are, let’s see what we can do.’ There was some camaraderie about what they were going to do.”

Mustapha, who had been in the UK 18 months at the time, will be on the sex offenders’ register for life.

The judge said the girl had told in an impact statement how she suffered flashbacks about the attack and had felt suicidal.