March 2012

Child killer from Maiden Newton jailed for brutal attack on partner

Stephen Thomas

A CHILD killer is back behind bars after a violent attack that left his partner with 12 broken teeth and two fractured eye sockets.

Stephen Thomas, of Harveys Close, Maiden Newton, was sentenced to three years in prison for assault occasioning grievous bodily harm when he appeared before Dor-chester Crown Court.

The 59-year-old committed the offence after being released from jail on licence and will now serve the rest of the life sentence he was given for murdering a two-year-old girl in 1990.

The court was told that Thomas attacked his girlfriend of 18 months Carolyn Murphy in his flat on August 21 last year.

Prosecutor Angela England said: “Miss Murphy has no recollection of the attack.

“The last thing she remembers is getting out of bed during the night, locking herself in the bathroom and trying to call the police.

“The defendant’s version of events are that he smashed his way into the bathroom, causing her to fall back and strike her head on the toilet. As she was lying on the floor he says he punched her three times and she lost consciousness.

“He then dragged her through the open doorway and says he accidentally stepped on her face because the dog bit him.

“Miss Murphy woke up with her hair matted with blood and stayed in the flat with no medical attention for two days.”

The court was told that she suffered two black eyes, 12 out of 21 teeth chipped or broken, a flip flop mark on the side of her face, a fracture to her right and left eye sockets, slashes across her back and thighs and bruising on her lower back and body.

Miss England said: “The facial fractures have caused Miss Murphy extensive pain and she now has double vision.

“She had a metal plate put in her face and extensive surgery but there is a good chance she will never get her vision back to the way it was. Miss Murphy was a bus driver but can now no longer work because of the difficulty with her sight.”

Miss England told the court that in 1990 Thomas murdered the two-year-old daughter of his partner, who he was living with at the time.

She said: “The toddler was misbehaving and kept getting out of bed.

“Thomas struck her on the stomach rupturing her liver and pancreas which caused her death.”

He was given a life sentence and was released on licence in 2001.

In relation to the 2011 offence Charles Hine, in mitigation, said: “Thomas said the relationship was volatile and there were numerous incidents of going out drinking.

“He is deeply upset by what he has done and still loves Miss Murphy.”

Judge Roger Jarvis told the defendant: “The court is extremely anxious that someone with your record has committed this violent offence.

“It was a sustained attack and the extent of the injuries is of course a cause for anxiety perhaps more worrying is the fact that Miss Murphy remained there for two days or more before receiving medical help.

“This has had a profound effect on her, she now has to rely so very much on other people and cannot continue with her employment.”