March 2008

Rapist is jailed after a decade of abuse

A BLYTH man who carried out a decade-long campaign of rape and sexual abuse against children has been jailed indefinitely.

Stephen Ord, of Taylor Street, must serve a minimum of eight years in prison after he was found guilty of raping and indecently assaulting girls as young as six.

The 54-year-old had always denied any wrongdoing.

But he was convicted of 19 charges of rape, indecent assault and sexual assault on three girls after a trial at Newcastle Crown Court.

After the court case one of his victims, who is now an adult, said: “I have had to live with this since I was six.

“I feel he has taken away my childhood.”

Ord stood silent and motionless as Judge John Milford QC jailed him indefinitely.

Eleven of the 12 jurors who tried the case returned to court to witness the sentence.

Judge Milford QC told Ord: “I am satisfied you have committed hundreds of offences against these girls over at least a decade.

“I have observed you throughout this trial. You have not shown any degree of remorse.

“You are in my view an extreme danger to young girls.”

Ord must serve a minimum of eight years in jail but will only be released when deemed safe by the parole board.

He will remain on licence for life and must sign on the sex offenders register.

He was also disqualified from working with children for life.

After the court case DCI Michael Barton of Northumberland Area Command said: “Stephen Ord showed no remorse whatsoever for the offences he committed.

“I am extremely grateful and immensely impressed by the courage of the victims who stood and gave their evidence in front of Ord.

“It is due to their bravery and effort that he finds himself imprisoned for a very long time.

“Thankfully offences of this nature are reassuringly rare.

“However, this case is another example of how Northumbria Police, and officers dedicated to investigating this type of abuse, will rigorously pursue those responsible for committing sexual abuse.”