April 2021

Convicted Kettering child rapist jailed again

A convicted Kettering child rapist who filmed himself abusing his victim has been sent to prison again for breaching a court order.

Andrew Short, 55, was jailed in 2010 for evil crimes which police described as the most disturbing they had seen.

A judge deemed him such a danger he imposed an indeterminate public protection sentence, telling him he would not be released until it was safe to do so and until he had spent at least seven-and-a-half years behind bars.

After the paedophile – formerly known as Kevin Short – was released he was subjected to a sexual harm prevention order in 2019, restricting his use of devices and contact with females under 18 in a bid to monitor him and deter him from further crimes.

But in January this year he found himself staring at the walls of a prison cell again after breaching the order when he reformatted his laptop by reinstalling the Windows operating system at his Cecil Street home.

The paedophile later admitted breaching a sexual harm prevention order and was recalled to prison on licence as he awaited his sentence.

Earlier this week at Northampton Crown Court Short, who appeared over videolink from HMP Lincoln, was jailed for 21 months.

A court had previously heard that he was selling an item on eBay on January 4 this year when he ran into technological difficulties before reinstalling the Windows system and rebooting his laptop – committing a crime in the process.

After he spoke to his offender manager and the probation service police visited his home to inspect the laptop and he was arrested.

When he was originally jailed in 2010 Short admitted 18 offences including child rape, sexual activity with a child and possessing thousands of indecent images of children.

February 2021

Evil Kettering child rapist is put behind bars again

A child rapist from Kettering whose evil crimes were described as the most disturbing police had seen has been locked up again.

Andrew Short, formerly known as Kevin Short, was jailed in 2010 after raping his victim and filming himself horrifically abusing her.

A judge deemed the 55-year-old such a danger he imposed an indeterminate public protection sentence, telling him he would not be released until it was safe to do so and until he had spent at least seven-and-a-half years behind bars.

Short was later freed and subjected to a sexual harm prevention order in 2019, restricting his use of devices and contact with females under 18 in a bid to monitor him and deter him from further crimes.

But he’s now back in prison after breaching the order when he reformatted his laptop by reinstalling the Windows operating system.

Yesterday (Thursday) Northampton Magistrates’ Court heard the paedophile, of Cecil Street in Kettering, was selling an item online on January 4 this year when he ran into technological difficulties.

Prosecuting, Julie Costello said: “He explained that he was selling an item on eBay and got a black screen.

“He said he could not mend it and got frustrated.

“He thought if he used the original hard-drive he could reboot it.”

Short then reinstalled the Windows system, rebooted the laptop and it worked.

But his actions meant he had committed another crime as he was banned from reformatting any device he used.

Ms Costello said: “He realised it may be an issue and he spoke to probation and his offender manager.”

Police then visited his address to inspect the laptop, which had been completely reformatted, and he was arrested.

The court heard Short was then recalled to prison on licence and is now a serving prisoner.

Because of his original sentence any future release from custody will be subject to a parole board decision.

Yesterday he appeared over videolink from HMP Lincoln to admit one charge of breaching a sexual harm prevention order.

Prosecutors dropped a second charge of breaching the same order by installing software which had the capacity to clean functions of a computer.

Magistrates sent the case to Northampton Crown Court, where the paedophile will be sentenced on March 5.

When he was originally jailed Short admitted 18 offences including child rape, sexual activity with a child and possessing thousands of indecent images of children.

November 2010

Justice at last for child victim of rapist

A teenage girl who was repeatedly abused by a paedophile has spoken of her relief after he was jailed for 15 years.

The 16-year-old, who cannot be named for legal reasons, was groomed, abused and raped by Kevin Short, 44, whose offending was so serious he will not be released until he is no longer considered to be a danger to the public. 

Short subjected a girl to four years of abuse when she was aged between 11 and 14. He filmed much of his horrendous abuse, some of which took place in Kettering.

His victim said: “I hope he stays in prison for life so he can’t do this to anyone else.

“It’s a big weight off my shoulders now he’s in prison.”

Short’s last address was given in court as Crispin Close, Burton Latimer, but he also lived in Corby, Kettering, Rushden and Wellingborough over the past few decades. He was trusted by the girl’s family to look after her alone and gained her trust with gifts, like iPods and Playstations, and holidays.

When she was 13 she started to realise his behaviour was wrong. She said: “I remember one morning waking up and he was in my bed, he said it was because he had got cold. I didn’t want to be around him but nothing happened for a while so I thought I could trust him again.”

But when she was 14, Short raped her while they were holidaying alone together.

She said: “I felt him touch me. I tried pretending to wake up and he moved away, but then he came back and he raped me.”

On their return she reported him to police. Short denied the allegations and no evidence was found on his computer because he had removed its hard drive during the police investigation.

Short admitted 18 sexual offences against children, including rape of a child, sexual activity with a child, voyeurism and possession of thousands of indecent images of children

The Crown Prosecution Service said there was not enough evidence to bring a case against Short.