May 2021

Seaton Delaval ‘abhorrent’ paedophile back behind bars

A paedophile is back behind bars after he was convicted of sick sex attacks on a seven-year-old girl.

Glen Dickinson had already served a prison sentence for abusing another young girl when she was aged under 10

Now he has been jailed for 11 years after the second victim bravely came forward to tell police what he had done to her.

As he was locked up at Newcastle Crown Court, a victim impact statement from the girl was read out.

She said she had been left with anxiety and depression and had to move as she felt like people knew what had happened.

She added: “I’m scared to go out by myself and I can’t face going anywhere near the area where this happened.

“I have flashbacks and nightmares about what happened and I struggle to get to sleep.

“Even though he was put in jail it doesn’t take away what he did to me.

“I’m left with this my whole life and it doesn’t go away. It doesn’t give me peace that he’s in jail, no sentence ever would.

“The abuse has had a catastrophic effect. I’m also serving a sentence, except mine is for life.”

Dickinson, 37, of Kearsley Close, Seaton Delaval, Northumberland, was found guilty by a jury of two serious sexual assaults on the child.

It was in 2014 that he was convicted of the earlier sex offences on the first victim. The new offending happened before that but only came to light more recently.

Judge Tim Gittins said Dickinson had an “abhorrent paedophilic interest” in young girls.

Referring to the victim, he added: “She had a bear a dreadful secret and has been deeply affected by your actions towards her and continues to be so.”

The judge said the abuse had left the girl “hurt and distressed”.

He added: “What you have done to her will endure, no doubt, for some time.”

Judge Gittins said Dickinson poses a substantial risk to girls of cause serious harm and concluded he is a dangerous offender.”

He was jailed for 11 years with an extended licence period of a further year.

Sex offender registration and a sexual offences prevention order imposed in 2014 continue to be in force.

August 2014

Jail sentences for two Wallsend perverts who abused same girl from the age of six


Glen Dickinson (pictured above)

A young girl was subjected to a shocking campaign of abuse by a pair of vile perverts.

Schoolfriends Glen Dickinson and Andrew Hutton both molested the same girl when she was as young as six.

Acting together on occasions, the vile pair left the child terrified by carrying out a string of sex attacks.

Dickinson even told the youngster her mother would die if she reported him,Newcastle Crown Court heard.

The offences took place between 1997 and 2002 but the girl only plucked up the courage to report it last year.

Now Dickinson has been locked up for three years and four months while co-accused Hutton got a suspended prison sentence.

The victim, who cannot be identified for legal reasons, told in a statement to the court how the abuse has ruined her life. She said: “I remember the abuse started when I was six and during it I felt scared, dirty and physically sick.

“I grew up believing the abuse was my fault and that I must have done something wrong to make them hurt me the way they did.

“At the age of 14 I began having panic attacks and suffering from anxiety and I turned to alcohol and drank heavily for seven years.

“I developed depression, self-harmed and tried to take an overdose and I don’t sleep and have nightmares and flashbacks.

“Glen and Andrew have messed my life right up and I’m the one suffering for what they did to me.”

The girl first remembered being abused when she was six and Dickinson and Hutton were still youths.

She recalls Hutton molesting her while Dickinson was present and she was left in tears and scared to tell anyone.

On another occasion Hutton tried to rape the girl while his pal was there, the court heard, but they were disturbed by an adult.

After that Dickinson also started to regularly abuse her. The girl said Dickinson abused her more than Hutton but there were times when both were present.

Dickinson, 31, of Burns Closes Crescent, Wallsend, pleaded guilty to indecency with a child and four charges of indecent assault and was locked up for three years and four months. He must also sign the sex offender register and was given a sexual offences prevention order aimed at restricting his behaviour once he is released.

Hutton, 31, of Howdon Lane, Wallsend, pleaded guilty to attempted rape and two counts of indecent assault. He was given two years’ prison suspended for two years and must also sign the sex offender register. Peter Schofield, for Dickinson, said: “He had a deplorable upbringing and was sexually abused himself as a child. He has nightmares about being locked in a cupboard.”

Tom Moran, for Hutton, said he was involved in less incidents of abuse than his friend, who he knew after the pair attended a special school together.