August 2014

Redruth pervert downloaded thousands of child abuse images – Guilty: No prison

AN ALCOHOLIC from Redruth, who downloaded thousands of indecent and extreme pornographic images of children and animals, told a court he had no sexual interest in youngsters.

At Truro Crown Court last Friday, Judge Christopher Harvey Clark, QC, said he was troubled by and found it very difficult to believe David Jones’ claim that he was not accessing child pornography for sexual reasons.

The 49-year-old, of Wheal Montague, North Country, who arrived at court drunk, previously pleaded guilty to seven counts of having made indecent images of children between February and May last year.

The 491 images ranged from category A to C on the scale used by the sentencing council to determine the seriousness of such material with category A being the most serious.

Jones also admitted two counts of being in possession of 2,375 extreme pornographic images involving animals and 23 prohibited images of children.

Elaine Hobson, for the Crown Prosecution Service, said police were led to Jones after a UK website was compromised in 2011.

She said Jones was one of a number of people who had accessed link on the site advertising the sale of child abuse DVDs.

Ms Hobson said police searched Jones’ house on May 14, last year and officers seized a laptop.

Ms Hobson said: “He was interviewed and admitted he was the main user of that computer … he was vaguely aware of illegal images on his computer [downloaded] when he was under the influence of alcohol.

“He stated that he was an alcoholic [and was] not sexually interested in the images.”

Fred Howell, defending, said Jones was in receipt of benefits.

Court liaison probation officer, Mary Lewis, said she had ended a short interview with Jones on that day because he was “very drunk”.

She said: “He said he had taken a lot of diazepam.”

Judge Harvey Clark asked Jones if he was in a fit state to be dealt with and he said he was and that he had been “dry” for weeks but had panicked about his court appearance the night before and had a few drinks.

Jones was sentenced to 12 months in prison suspended for 12 months and ordered to be under the supervision of the probation service for the same period.

He was also make the subject of a sexual offences prevention order and an alcohol treatment requirement and will have to attend court for monthly reviews.

Jones was also ordered to sign the sex offenders’ register for the next 10 years.