August 2014

Hartlepool teens locked up for brutal rape of schoolgirl


TWO Hartlepool sex beasts who raped a schoolgirl have each been locked up for 14 years.

Lewis Bates (pictured above) and Mark Wilson left their victim bleeding profusely after the horrific attack, Durham Crown Court heard.


Sam Hunter, who helped entice the victim into Bates’ car, was jailed for 18 months for child abduction.

The court heard the three men were cruising around Blackhall Colliery last year when they stopped to talk to a group of children.


Despite confirming their victim was under 16, they drove her to a quiet lane leading to the coast, prosecutor Matthew Bean told the court.

“Hunter stayed in the car,” Mr Bean added.

“The victim described how Bates and Wilson led her a short distance on foot.

“She was turned round about six times as each man raped her.

“Afterwards they took her back to the village.”

Bates, 19, of Runciman Road, Hartlepool, and Wilson, 18, of Arkley Crescent, also Hartlepool, both denied three charges of rape and one charge of child abduction.

They were each convicted of one charge of rape and child abduction after a trial earlier this year.

Hunter, 18, of Hirdman Grove, Hartlepool, denied child abduction. He was convicted at the end of the same trial.

Lawyers for Wilson and Bates conceded it was a sustained attack, but said it had not gone on for hours or days.

Jim Withyman, for Wilson, said the girl got into the car voluntarily at the roadside.

“Any personal mitigation for Mr Wilson is regretfully sparse,” he added.

Jane Waugh, for Hunter, said: “He did not know the plans of the others, and he remained in the back seat throughout.”

Passing sentence, Judge Christopher Prince said: “This was a callous offence, the treatment of the victim was brutal.

“You showed a complete disregard for your victim as a person, treating her merely as an object.

“There has been a gravely adverse impact on her, there being severe physical and severe psychological harm.

“You all acted together, and there was a significant degree of planning,”

Judge Prince made an order confiscating the Seat Ibiza car belonging to Bates.

Both Bates and Wilson will have to register as sex offenders for the rest of their lives.

The judge commended the officer in charge of the case, Detective Constable Helen Tindale of Durham Police.

Bates and Wilson will serve their sentences in a young offenders’ institution until they are 21-years-old, when they will be transferred to an adult prison.

Time spent on remand means Hunter is likely to be released within the next two months.