February 2015

Missing convicted sex offender found living with two girlfriends on Merseyside – one with young children


A CONVICTED sex offender from Pendle who disappeared without trace was found to be living with two girlfriends on Merseyside – one of whom had young children.

David Perry, 32, was banned from unsupervised contact with youngsters after being convicted of sexual activity with a child in November 2011 and serving a 40-month prison sentence, Burnley Crown Court was told.

Perry, of Napier Street, was required to keep Lancashire Police informed of his whereabouts and to sign the sex offenders register under the terms of his punishment.

Prosecutor Stephen Parker said the defendant was informed of his notification requirements at a probation hostel in August 2013 where he lived after his release from prison.

But just over a year later, when he was visited by officers from the constabulary’s dangerous and sexual offenders unit, he had disappeared from his registered address in Nelson.

One of his neighbours informed police he may be living with a girlfriend in the Birkenhead area, the court heard.

Mr Parker said Perry was spoken to about the situation when he attended Burnley Police Station on January 19.

But when further checks were made it was discovered he had gone missing again. Detectives eventually secured a contact number for Perry and he was interviewed about his absences.

He told officers that he had met a woman, via Blackberry’s instant messaging service and he had gone to stay with her, said Mr Parker.

The court heard she had three children aged under 18. Later he confessed to staying with a second woman also in the Liverpool area. She also had children but they had not been present when Perry stayed over.

The court heard the defendant had also breached the terms of his order by engaging in Facebook contact with his son.

Claire Thomas, mitigating, said her client felt “increasingly isolated and was looking for female company”. He accepted responsibility for the offences.

Perry admitted two offences under the sex offenders’ order, and failing to comply with the terms of the order, and was jailed for six months.