March 2015

Child rapist who groomed and abused young girl is jailed for 13 years

Untitled

A FORMER lorry driver from Newlyn has been jailed for 13 years after he “systematically groomed” two young girls in the 1980s and 1990s.

Norman Wood admitted five sexual offences against one under age victim, who is now an adult, who cannot be named for legal reasons.

He was found guilty of five offences against another girl, including rape, after a trial at Truro Crown Court which started last month.

On Friday, the court heard the 58-year-old kissed one of the girls on her 13th birthday and progressed to having sexual intercourse with her.

Jason Beal, for the Crown Prosecution Service, said during the trial that the other girl told police that she remembered Wood being a bit touchy feely with her and that he had kissed her on the lips.

Mr Beal said: “She obviously realised it was not right.

“He said ‘it is OK; it is allowed.”

The court heard Wood, of Chywoone Avenue, Gwavas Estate, touched the girl sexually and raped her.

“He said what was happening was to be their little secret,” said Mr Beal.

The court heard a complaint was made to the police in 2013 after the two girls got in touch with each other on Facebook and shared their stories.

At an earlier hearing, Wood admitted five offences of indecent assault on the second girl. He denied three counts of indecent assault and two of rape in relation to the second victim.

In interview, he told officers that he “completely and absolutely refuted any of the allegations made about him” by that girl.

The jury found him guilty on all counts. The offences took place between 1983 and 1991.

Jeremy Leaning, for the defence, said Wood had not committed any offences in the 20 years since 1991. He said Wood was married and had two children.

“This is a man who had worked throughout his adult life including a period of service in the Armed Forces,” said Mr Leaning.

He added that nothing inappropriate had been found on Wood’s computer by the police. during the investigation.

Sentencing, the judge, Recorder Edward Burgess, who appeared at court via video link, said he had no doubt that Wood had “systematically groomed” his victims and that he had repeatedly threatened one of the girls to keep her quiet.

Recorder Burgess said the second girl told police that Wood had had sex with her but that he could not be charged with that because of the law.

Jailing Wood for 13 years, he added: “It is remarkable, in my judgement, that they have become such impressive women in adult life and that is in spite of what you did to them.”

Wood was made the subject of a sexual offences prevention order and ordered to sign the sex offenders register indefinitely.

March 2015

Former lorry driver from Newlyn is facing jail after being found guilty of raping a young girl

Norman Wood went on trial at Truro Crown Court last week accused of indecently assaulting the girl, who cannot be named for legal reasons, and raping her on two occasions in the mid 1980s.

The 58-year-old had perviously admitted charges of indecently assaulting a second girl.

Jason Beal, for the Crown Prosecution Service, said the first girl told police that she remembered Wood being a bit touchy feely with her and that he had kissed her on the lips.

Mr Beal said: “She obviously realised it was not right.

“He said ‘it is okay; it is allowed.”

The court heard Wood, of Chywoone Avenue, Gwavas Estate, touched the girl sexually and raped her.

“He said what was happening was to be their little secret,” said Mr Beal.

“Making this young girl think that if she said anything it would be that would be in trouble.”

Mr Beal said Wood called the girl “his little princess” and that the abuse happened on a number of occasions.

The court heard a complaint was made to the police in 2013 after the two girls, now adults, got in touch with each other on Facebook and shared their stories.

At an earlier hearing, Wood admitted five offences of indecent assault on the second girl.

He denied three counts of indecent assault and two of rape in relation to the second victim.

In interview, he told officers that he “completely and absolutely refuted any of the allegations made about him” by that girl, Mr Beal said.

Closing the case, Jeremy Leaning, for the defence, urged the jury to find Wood not guilty.

He said evidence about Wood’s work records obtained from HMRC pointed to his clients innocence.

He said: “Treat this prosecution evidence with the greatest of caution especially against a background of information sharing.

“Norman Wood had an inappropriate and unlawful relationship with [the second girl] when she was under the age of 16.

“Events which he will fall to be punished for in due course.”

Last Friday, the jury found him guilty on all counts.

The case was adjourned Friday [March 6] for sentence.

Remanding Wood in custody, the judge Recorder Edward Burgess, said: “You will receive a substantial prison sentence.

“The only question in my mind is how long that will be.”