April 2015

Former Caernarfon harbourmaster sentenced for indecent images of children

Caernarfon harbourmaster had hundreds of indecent images of children

A former harbourmaster who was “addicted to pornography” sank to watching sexual images of children while staying late at work or while his wife was in bed at home, a court heard today.

Richard Jones, 43, of Ffordd Eryri, Caernarfon, had previously pleaded guilty to 12 charges of making and possessing indecent images of children.

When police officers raided the home of the former Caernarfon harbourmaster, they found a total of 546 indecent images on his computer, laptop and mobile phone, as well as a movie.

Caernarfon Crown Court heard the offences took place between July 8, 2010, and May 1, 2014.

Prosecuting barrister Andew McInnes told the court today that Jones “would stay late at work” to watch the images or would do so at home when his wife was in bed.

Defending barrister Sarah Barlow said Jones had “destroyed his life and ultimately what he had worked for”.

She said treatment “might be the best way forward”, adding that he had no previous convictions.

Recorder Geraint Walters said: “You are now 43 years of age and until this matter came to light you were a man who had led a distinguished life, always worked and played a full role in the community.

“You held together a home, a family and you are a person who is regarded by a great number of people.

“There are many people even today – who know what you have done – who still stand behind you. They know the man that they knew before this matter came to light.”

Judge Walters said Jones had become addicted to pornography, but that interest had then “escalated” to images of children.

He said: “Having viewed a few, you became used to it.”

Judge Walters said Jones had lost his home and resigned from his job.

He said Jones had become “a recluse” and “ashamed effectively of holding your head up in public”.

The judge said: “It’s easy for me to say that is something that you brought upon yourself. You have shown a desire to stop this sort of offending and behaviour. You want to see if you can restore something of the dignity you enjoyed.

“The images are of real children…every time somebody views that on a page, that still happens to them.”

The judge sentenced Jones to a three-year community order to treat his interest “in this kind of pornography”.

He also handed him a five-year Sexual Offences Prevention Order, meaning Jones will have to register as a sex offender for five years.

Jones is understood to have left his role as harbourmaster in June 2014.

March 2015

Caernarfon harbourmaster admits possession of hundreds of indecent images of children

A former Caernarfon harbourmaster today pleaded guilty to charges of making and possessing indecent images of children.

Richard Jones, 43, of Ffordd Eryri, Caernarfon, replied “guilty” to each of the 12 charges read out in Caernarfon Crown Court by prosecutor David Mainstone.

The court heard that one of the charges against Jones was the possession of 546 indecent still images of children.

Mr Mainstone said all the offences happened between July 8, 2010, and May 1, 2014.

The case was adjourned for a pre-sentence report by the probation service.

Mr Recorder Timothy Petts said: “You have pleaded guilty to serious offences.”

Jones was given bail, with one of the conditions being that he will not be in the presence of children under 17.

He will next appear in court on April 17 for sentencing.

Jones is understood to have left his role of harbourmaster in June 2014.