December 2020

Disgraced former councillor admits breaching sex offender order

A disgraced former councillor has admitted breaching a sex offenders order.

Simon Carter was handed a three-year community order after being convicted of making indecent images of children back in 2015.

Carter, a former Labour councillor on Bury Council, was also made the subject of a sexual harm prevention order which restricted his use of devices with internet access.

The 58-year-old was sentenced at Bolton Crown Court on Wednesday after admitting breaching his order by failing to disclose a laptop that he owned to police.

Prosecuting, Craig MacGregor, told the court that police officers had visited Carter’s home in Wigan on September 2 to carry out an inspection of his devices.

Despite claiming he only owned a Samsung mobile phone, which police were already aware of, a dongle was discovered inside his flat.

After being arrested, Carter admitted to owning a HP laptop which he kept hidden inside a cupboard at his flat.

The court heard that the device had been used on three days in March 2019, but no evidence was found of any indecent images of children on it.

Carter told police he had owned the laptop for 18 months after being given it by a friend.

He admitted using it ‘a couple of times’ and trying to access the internet through the dongle.

He added that it was ‘stupid’ of him not to have told police about the device.

The court heard that Carter had previously worked as a self-employed IT consultant for Oldham Council, but had been dismissed in 2011 for misuse of computer systems.

When his home was searched in 2015, police found indecent images of young girls which he admitted using for sexual gratification.

Carter told police he had a sexual interest in girls between the ages of 9 and 11, said Mr MacGregor.

Carter was elected as the Labour representative for Tottington ward in 2012 and served on Bury Council for three years.

After his arrest, he was suspended by the Labour Party and later expelled.

In September 2015, he was sentenced to a three-year community order, with a three-year supervision requirement.

He was also required to complete a programme for sex offenders and sign the sex offenders’ register for five years.

Judge Martin Walsh imposed a three-year community order and told Carter that he must complete 50 rehabilitation requirement days.

Carter, of Butler Street, Wigan, was also ordered to pay costs of £340.

August 2015

Bury councillor spared prison after making indecent images of children

sc

A shamed councillor who made indecent images of children has walked free from court.

Simon Carter, who represented Labour in the Tottington ward for Bury Council, stood down as a councillor yesterday ahead of a sentencing hearing at Bolton Crown Court today.

Carter, 53, of Rosewood Avenue, Tottington, pleaded guilty to 16 counts of making indecent images of children in June.

He was sentenced to a three-year community order, with a three-year supervision requirement, in court today. He will also be required to complete a programme for sex offenders and sign the sex offenders’ register for five years.

Bolton Crown Court said a sexual offences prevention order was also passed.

Carter was suspended from the Labour Party after he was arrested but has now been expelled. The charges covered a period of time between January 1, 2011 and April this year.

Carter, who is believed to work as a self-employed IT trainer, was elected to Bury council in 2012, winning the seat from the Tories. He was due to stand for re-election next year. A by-election in the ward could now be held.

July 2015

Bury councillor admits making indecent images of children

A councillor has admitted to making indecent images of children.

Simon Carter, who sits on the Ramsbottom, Tottington and North Manor township forum on Bury council, pleaded guilty to 16 counts of making indecent images of children at Bolton Crown Court.

It is understood that the charges cover a period of time between January 1, 2011 and April this year.

The charges were brought against Coun Carter, who sits on Bury council’s standards and overview and scrutiny committee, following an investigation by Greater Manchester Police’s Child Abuse Investigation Team in Bury.

Carter is due to be sentenced on September 4.