July 2015

Victim describes paedophile as ‘vile, horrible monster’ for abuse she suffered as a 13-year-old


A child sexual abuse victim who was abused as a schoolgirl has described how she kept her ordeal secret for years before plucking up the courage to tell the police.

Now the paedophile who molested her has at last been jailed.

Steven David Walsh, 44, sexually assaulted the teenager while she slept.

But the tormented pupil kept the crime a secret from all but those closest to her until last year when she finally felt able to pick up the phone and call.

When Walsh, of Kingsleigh Road in Heaton Moor, Stockport, was arrested, he called her up and threatened to kill her if she persisted with her case.

However, the brave young woman gave evidence during a trial just yards away from her abuser in the dock and a jury believed her story.

Walsh, who worked as a car valeter and who has links to Wythenshawe, had denied sex assault and witness intimidation but a jury dismissed his story during a trial at Minshull Street Crown Court.

He was caged for two-and-a-half years for sexual assault and handed a further year behind bars for witness intimidation.

He was also ordered to sign the sex offenders’ register for life and slapped with a ten-year restraining order.

His victim, now a university student, told the MEN: “I don’t think any sentence will ever be enough.

“It’s just good that he’s behind bars and I can get on with my life.”

Describing Walsh as a ‘vile, horrible monster’, she urged other victims of sex crime to go to the police: “Don’t be afraid.

Paedophile Steven David Walsh was jailed two-and-a-half years for sexual assault after his victim plucked up the courage to report the abuse

“I know it’s hard but you have to tell someone. I know from personal experience what it does to you to keep it inside and bottled up.

“You battle it every day. It affects you in so many ways.”

She described giving evidence in court as ‘awful’ and that she would have been ‘crushed’ had her abuser been found not guilty.

Speaking out after the sentence, she said: “It was horrible, just knowing he was in the same room even though I was behind a screen.

“His family was there supporting him. I had my dad. In that box you feel so alone.

“There are 12 people (in the jury) sitting there and you just hope they believe you. I don’t know where I would be if I didn’t get that conviction.

“It would have crushed me.”

The woman, who has set up a new life in the south of England, added: “Now it’s over I’m letting this be the fuel to drive me.

” I would never say ‘I’m glad it happened’ but if it didn’t happen, I wouldn’t be the person I am today and I wouldn’t have the morals I have today.

“For years I didn’t tell anyone. He was around for years afterwards but I didn’t say anything. He betrayed my trust.

“I’ve moved out of the area and started a new life and I’m just glad that justice has been served and it’s finally over after all the misery he has caused.”