July 2015

FREED serial rapist spotted with other sex offender near girls’ secondary school


A convicted serial rapist who has been living beside a college campus frequented by thousands of female students has been seen in the area in the company of another convicted sex offender.

It was previously revealed how Michael Murray (46), who served a 13-year prison sentence for a series of rapes and sexual assaults, is living at a residence near the UCD campus.

Murray was pictured frequenting the college grounds, and even used the opportunity to sunbathe topless as dozens of students passed by him.

It was the first public sighting of Murray in almost four years.

Murray was caged in 1996 for raping four women and sexually assaulting two others in south Dublin during a six-day reign of terror in September 1995.

Eighteen months before his rape conviction, Murray received a four-month sentence for indecently exposing himself to a five-year-old girl and a three-year-old boy after walking into the back garden of a house in Dun Laoghaire.

At his trial, two of his victims told the court they thought they were going to die.

His first rapes took place in Dalkey, Killiney and Monkstown, but he then began to move out of the area.

His next victim was in Rathmines, where he attacked and stabbed a girl.

After days of surveillance, he was seen returning to his mother’s house and was arrested.

Murray was eventually sentenced to 18 years, but with standard remission he served only 13.

Senior detectives expressed major concern when he was once again free to prowl the streets in 2009.

In June 2010, the sicko went to the High Court to complain about media coverage of him, but the court refused to grant him an injunction preventing newspapers from publishing his address and pictures of him

Sources have now revealed that twisted Murray has been seen in the company of another convicted sex offender.

The two have been spotted together in Donnybrook village, in close proximity to a girls’ secondary school.

The second man, aged in his 50s, was previously convicted for the sexual assault of a minor, and resides in the area.

“They’ve been seen together grabbing a cup of coffee in a cafe in the Donnybrook area. It’s concerning to see two men with their backgrounds hanging around together within a short distance of a girls’ secondary school, to say the least,” a source said.

Since his whereabouts was revealed Murray has shaved his hair and beard in an apparent attempt to alter his appearance.

Murray was followed as he took a casual walk to his local shop, passing a children’s sports club on the way.

These pictures also show the rapist walking beside a woman who is oblivious that the man just feet away from her is a convicted sex offender.

Sources said security staff at UCD have been notified of Murray’s presence in the locality, as have officers at nearby Donnybrook Garda Station.

He has also been observed drinking coffee in a pub on Upper Baggot Street as well as in a cafe in the same area in recent weeks.

It is not known how long he has lived in the Montrose area. He previously lived in Ballsbridge for more than a year, and in the north inner city after his release from jail in 2009.



August 2009

Serial rapist Murray is spotted in popular seaside resort


Ireland’s most dangerous rapist is taking day trips to one of the country’s most popular family resorts.

Serial rapist Michael Murray (49) has been spotted by gardai in Bray, Co Wicklow, having travelled from his flat in Dublin’s north inner city.

Officers are also investigating an unconfirmed report that Murray returned to his home area in Sallynoggin, south Dublin.

The Herald recently exposed Murray’s early release from prison, after serving just 13 years for a spate of sex attacks, which saw him assault six women in as many days.

Eighteen months before his rape conviction, Murray received a four-month sentence for indecently exposing himself to a five -year-old girl and a three-year-old boy. In 1989 he was jailed for eight-and-a-half years for an attack in the UK.

Gardai have described Murray as “extremely dangerous” and members of the public who spot him acting suspiciously are advised to contact their local garda station.

On his last extended period of freedom, in 1995, Murray raped four women and sexually assaulted two others in less than one week. The attacks took place across Dublin’s southside, including Dalkey and Rathmines. He has also attacked women in the Ballsbridge office belt, close to the Burlington Hotel.

Gardai spotted Murray close to Bray seafront last week, after he travelled there from the city centre by public transport. He was monitored by officers until he left the area.

The seafront is one of the most popular destinations on the east coast for families during the summer season.

The rapist then returned to his home, a State-funded ‘halfway house’ in the Bolton Street area of the north inner city. Local gardai have monitored him in that area since his release and have called to the property on a number of occasions, it is understood.

They are also investigating a sighting by a member of the public, who claimed to have seen Murray in Sallynoggin, south Dublin, where he has previous family connections. This report is unconfirmed at this point, but is being looked into, sources said.

The Herald understands that Murray told fellow inmates at Castlerea Prison that he intended “keeping his head down” on release to avoid coming to garda attention again.

Murray’s crimes caused shock and revulsion when their full details were divulged during his 1996 trial.

The court heard how he carried out the attacks over five days in 1995, after he had been arrested on suspicion of one rape, but then released pending a decision on charges.

In the subsequent five day period that he was free, Murray raped three more woman, and sexually assaulted two others, in a rampage of violence across south Dublin.

In each of the cases he attempted to suffocate or strangle his victim, and he was convicted of assault in relation to these attacks, and cutting one of his victims with a knife.

At his trial, two of Murray’s victims told the court they felt they could have died during the attacks.

One woman said she felt she had only 30 seconds to live after Murray attacked her close to the Burlington Hotel and tried to choke her.

Eighteen months before his rape conviction, Murray received a four-month sentence for indecently exposing himself to a five -year-old girl and a three-year-old boy.

In 1989 he was jailed for eight-and-a-half years for an attack in the UK.

Sentencing Murray to 18 years imprisonment for rape, aggravated sexual assault, assault, malicious wounding and wounding with intent to disfigure, Judge Vivian Lavan described his crimes as “horrific”.