Sex offender who snatched girl off street jailed for life
A sex offender who snatched a six-year-old girl off the street and bundled her into the boot of his car has been jailed for life.
The girl was playing near her home in Burnley, Lancashire, when Imran Khan, 34, kidnapped her and drove several miles before sexually assaulting her.
Khan then dumped her in a wheelie bin before she later freed herself and was found wandering alone in distress by other children on the afternoon of 26 March.
Before a scheduled trial last month, the defendant pleaded guilty to kidnap, kidnap with intent to commit a sexual offence and breaching a sexual offences prevention order.
The registered sex offender was convicted in 2008 of abducting a 12-year-old girl in a car and sexually assaulting her. Khan, from Accrington, was jailed for nine years and released in 2013, said police.
In the more recent crime, he tricked the girl into approaching his car by lying that he needed her help to retrieve a ball trapped under the vehicle. He picked her up and placed her in the open boot of the black Vauxhall Astra before driving three and a half miles to the village of Hapton.
Khan parked in an isolated lane and attempted to force her to touch his private parts before he drove a short distance to Whitefield Street where he put the girl in a wheelie bin and drove off.
Her parents contacted police after members of the public took her back home when she was discovered in a distraught state in the street asking for help following the 20-minute ordeal.
Khan’s vehicle was identified from CCTV footage and he was arrested at his home two days later.
Sentencing Khan at Burnley crown court, Judge Newell ordered Khan to serve two life sentences for the kidnap offences, to run concurrently. He was also handed a three-year concurrent term for breaching the prevention order.
Khan must serve a minimum of six years and seven months before he can be considered for parole.
DI Jim Elston from Lancashire Constabulary’s Force Major Investigation Team (FMIT) said: “I am pleased with today’s result following the horrendous ordeal that this young girl had to endure which has left a lasting effect on her and her family.
“I must commend the courage and resilience that the victim has shown, particularly given her age.
“I hope that now Khan is behind bars that the family are able to start moving forward with their lives and the victim is able to try and enjoy a normal, happy childhood which she fully deserves, despite this trauma.”
Convicted sex offender guilty of kidnapping a terrified 6-year-old girl
Imran Khan, 34, of Pendle Street, Accrington pleaded guilty at Preston Crown Court to kidnap, kidnap with intent to commit a sexual offence and breach of a Sexual Offences Prevention Order.
The girl was playing in a street in Burnley when she was taken by Khan and forcefully bundled into the boot of his black Vauxhall Astra car earlier this year.
She was driven to a different location where Khan exposed himself to her and tried to force her to commit a sexual act on him.
He then tool her back to the street where he had abducted her and dumped her in a wheelie bin.
She managed to het out of the bin and was found wandering alone in distress by other children on the afternoon of March 26.
Detective Inspector Jim Elston from Lancashire Constabulary’s Force Major Investigation Team (FMIT) said: “This was a horrendous offence which would have been terrifying for any adult, let alone a young child.
“We continue to offer support to the victim and to her family and we welcome today’s verdict and look forward to a sentence which reflects the gravity of Khan’s offending.
The registered sex offender was convicted in 2008 of abducting a 12-year-old girl in a car and sexually assaulting her.
He was jailed for nine years for that offence and released in 2013 after serving 5 years.
“While we have rigorous systems in place to manage sex offenders who have served a sentence and been released into the community, this cannot happen 24 hours a day and unfortunately on occasion an offender may go on to commit a further offence as happened in this case. Thankfully that is relatively rare.
“There is currently a review on-going into this particular case and we will clearly look carefully at the results of that to see if there are any lessons we can learn.
Khan is due to be sentenced at Preston Crown Court on Friday, October 23.