October 2015

Father jailed for killing baby son 


A man has been jailed for killing his baby son after squeezing his chest and shaking him.

Jordon Saxton, from Faringdon, Oxfordshire, was convicted of the manslaughter of 11-week-old Jayden Saxton, but cleared of his murder.

Jordan Saxton, 22, had been left with baby Jayden for just 90 minutes when he attacked his son, damaging his head, legs and ribs, and blinding him because of damage he caused to blood vessels in the child’s eyes.

Jayden died in November after suffering 18 bone fractures as well as multiple brain and spinal injuries, a trial at Oxford Crown Court heard.

The jury gasped in horror when they were shown 16 pictures of the baby’s shocking injuries.

The jury was told by paramedics giving evidence that the injuries would have required “considerable force”, similar to that of a high-speed car crash.

Saxton, 21, was sentenced to nine years in prison.

During the two-week trial, jurors heard the baby was living at a flat with his parents and had been left alone with Saxton on 17 November.

They heard that Jayden never recovered from what the prosecution described as a “violent assault”, in which he was squeezed so hard several of his ribs were broken.

He was taken to hospital by paramedics, but died the following day.

During the trial, Saxton told the court he had dialled 999 after Jayden stopped breathing and was in a state of panic because he thought something was stuck in his son’s throat.

Passing sentence, Mr Justice Rabinder Singh QC, said the baby’s death was “undoubtedly a tragedy for everyone concerned”.

He told Saxton: “No-one but you will ever know exactly what happened that afternoon.

“I conclude that you acted as you did in frustration at the fact that you could not settle Jayden.”

Det Ch Insp Kevin Brown of Thames Valley Police said Jayden’s family had been through a “living nightmare” since November.

“The medical and forensic evidence in this investigation proved how Jayden was assaulted, causing him serious bodily harm that led to his death.

“The evidence was clear that Jordan committed manslaughter.”
Adrian Foster, chief prosecutor for Thames and Chiltern Crown Prosecution Service (CPS) said it was “impossible to imagine a more vulnerable victim”.

He said that old rib fractures also discovered during the post mortem indicated that Jayden had previously been forcibly gripped and shaken between 21 October and 4 November

Jordan Saxton denied causing the death of his defenceless son and offered no explanation for how he obtained his injuries,” he added.