September 2015

Mother’s shock as child killer is jailed for animal cruelty


A MOTHER has spoken of her shock after her child’s “twisted” killer was jailed for animal cruelty.

Lee Michael, aged 34, was jailed for 24 weeks for hitting a puppy so hard a chunk of her jaw was knocked out, and cruelly mistreating a cat which later died.

Wirral Magistrates heard Michael had changed his name since he, as Lee Khair, had been convicted of manslaughter for killing his two-year-old son Ryan Franklin-Khair in Dorset in 2002.

Ryan’s mother of Blandford, said she was “shocked” to hear the news of his conviction.

“I went online and saw his face everywhere, and I had trouble sleeping that night,” she said.

“I wasn’t shocked at the violence. He is violent, he is twisted.

“It was shock at his face staring back at me.”

In 2003 Michael, then 22, was sentenced to seven years in prison for causing Ryan’s death, after a trial at Winchester Crown Court.

The jury heard he was looking after the toddler at Mrs Jacques’ home in Blandford when the boy was found by paramedics at the bottom of the stairs with head injuries and extensive bruising.

He died in hospital two days later.

Former soldier Michael was released after serving half of his sentence and soon changed his name.

He has been working in fitness in the Wirral area.

Mrs Jacques, 40, has previously criticised Michael’s sentence for her son’s death, saying he should have received a life term.

She said that recent incidents have vindicated her calls for a longer jail term.

Mrs Jacques said: “This case indicates I was right all along, he should have had a longer sentence.

“The people in charge of the justice system need to listen to the victims’ families, we know a lot about these types of people, they do go on to re-offend.

“I am also worried that he can change his name, people in that area won’t know what he has done.”

In court on Tuesday last week, Michael, of Lower Thingwall Lane, Thingwall, was banned for life from keeping animals.

He was also ordered to pay £2,423 costs and undergo 12 months supervision after admitting five counts of causing unnecessary cruelty to animals – a pug puppy called Babs and a cat called Larry.

RSPCA Inspector Anthony Joynes said the case involved “stomach-churning” cruelty and said the animals must have experienced unimaginable suffering at the hands of the defendant.

He added that thankfully he was able to report that the puppy who had been the victim of Michael’s violence was now on the road to recovery thanks to the efforts of the animal charity.

Mr Joynes said: “I feel we have only revealed the tip of the iceberg of events and we will never know exactly what poor Larry the cat went through in its ordeal and final moments.

“However, I am proud that we have managed to save the puppy – now called Ruby, who is now getting the love, care and attention she deserves in a new home.”

Click this link for Justice for Ryan page

December 2003

Jail term for father who killed son, 2

THE family of a grieving mother whose baby son was killed by his own father today welcomed the jail sentence handed to the tot’s killer.

They have spoken out against the horrific actions of former Sheffield man Lance Corporal Lee Khair, who is starting a prison sentence for the manslaughter of his two-year-old son Ryan Franklin-Khair.

Ryan had a brain injury and bruises all over his body while under the care of Khair, 22, formerly of Thornsett Road, Sharrow, at his girlfriend Catherine Franklin’s house in Blandford Forum, Dorset in May last year.

The youngster was taken to Southampton General Hospital but never regained consciousness and died days later on May 29.

Khair, who was brought up in his grandparents’ 350,000 home in the city, told paramedics and hospital staff his son had fallen down a flight of stairs, a trial at Winchester Crown Court heard.

But Khair, who was stationed at Worthy Down Barracks, Winchester was sentenced to seven years for the manslaughter of his child last week after he was found guilty in a trial held in October.

Speaking for the first time since the decision, Ms Franklin’s sister Tracy condemned Khair for not owning up to his crime or explaining what happened.

“He said he never did anything to that boy even though he was the only one in the house with him at the time,” she said. “We are glad justice has been done and want to get on with our lives.”

The court had heard Ryan’s injuries were not consistent with a fall and were more likely to have been caused by being gripped, shaken and thrown on a densely hard surface.

Khair has never admitted his responsibility for causing the injuries or explained exactly how they occurred, the court heard.

Sentencing Khair, judge Mr Justice David Steel said: “Despite the verdict of the jury following a detailed trial you are still unable to acknowledge any responsibility for Ryan’s death.

“The truth is that only you know what happened that fatal night and I must proceed on the basis that you have chosen to remain silent.

“Anything I say cannot bring any comfort to Ryan’s mother.”

John Aspinall QC, defending, told the court Khair had an exemplary record in the Army but because of this conviction his career would be finished.

The trial was told Ryan had been born after a one-night stand between Khair and Ms Franklin.