April 2004

‘Blackpool beast’ caged

A paedophile labelled the “beast of Blackpool” by a judge has been caged for 15 years.

Tony Bond filmed himself having sex with two boys aged 12 and 13 at his home in Blackpool.

The 34-year-old made other videos of his sexual behaviour and Preston Crown Court heard how video clips were later put on computer equipment.

Some indecent material was even distributed on the internet, attached to e-mails.

Judge Brian Duckworth told him: “You are I think the most evil man I have ever come across in 48 years of the law. The beast of Blackpool.

“It stinks to heaven. This was pornography of the worst order, sexual behaviour of an appalling kind.”

Bond, of Endsleigh Gardens, Marton, had pleaded guilty to eight sex offence charges that included indecent assault and indecency with a child.

He had denied 10 further charges – one of making an indecent photograph of a child, six of possessing an indecent photograph and another three of distributing an indecent photo of a child. However, he was convicted at the end of a trial.

Some jurors were reduced to tears when they viewed brief video clips and also still images as part of the evidence gathered in the case.

The sex offences took place in 2002.

Mr David Pickup, prosecuting, said the two boys had visited the defendant’s address.

One tape later found, called Blackpool Lights, showed Bond’s bedroom and him having sex with the youngsters.

The defendant could be heard on tape directing someone who had the camcorder.

Other offences occurred on further occasions, for example, Bond allowing a sex act to take place on himself in the presence of one of the boys.

He had CCTV cameras in the bathroom and elsewhere in the home. Bond had asked: “Do you like looking at gay porn? Nice, isn’t it? We like gay porn.”

When police searched his address a total of 135 images were found on various computer equipment – 59 of those were video clips.

Of the overall number, 64 images were of sex between adults and children.

Mr Pickup also told the court of police concerns over many items found on the computer files.

“They are what appear to be documents, an attempt or preparation to set up a foster home or care home of some kind.”

At his trial, Bond denied any knowledge about the indecent computer material. He implied that someone else had put it there without his knowledge or consent.

He had 84 offences on his record, though none of a sexual nature.

Defence barrister Mr Ciaron Rankin said it had been Bond’s case that the two young boys had, to some extent, been exploring their sexuality. They had had repeated opportunities to leave, but did not.

Bond had shown true remorse for his offending.

“When asked to view the videos he was horrified by what happened. He attributes that to alcohol.”

The judge ordered that upon his eventual release, Bond should be on extended licence for a further eight years. The defendant will have to sign on the Sex Offenders Register for life.

He was barred from having contact with any children for the rest of his life and disqualified from working with any child for the rest of his life.

DC Sam Mackenzie and DC Nick Denman said: “We are pleased with the outcome and with the significant sentence.

“We believe Tony Bond was a extremely dangerous offender who posed a very real threat to all young children.