December 2008

Man jailed for raping young girls

A man convicted of raping two primary school pupils in Argyll, and abusing three other young girls, has been jailed for nine years.

The High Court in Glasgow heard how David Rennie repeatedly raped one of the girls between 2000 and June 2006.

The 44-year-old also raped the other girl on various occasions between December 2003 and April 2007.

Temporary judge Sean Murphy QC told Rennie: “All your victims were deeply disturbed and upset by your behaviour.”

Rennie, of Tarbert Farm, Isle of Gigha, was also convicted of abusing three other girls between 1985 and 2007.

Judge Murphy ordered Rennie be placed on the sex offenders register and referred to the Scottish ministers for the protection of children.

He said he had received letters of commendation from Rennie’s family and friends and told him: “You are a person who in all other respects appears to be of commendable character.”

Defence QC Frances McMenamin said: “Given Mr Rennie’s continued denials of his guilt there is little I can say.

“His family has come from Gigha to court today to show their support for him. Letters written to the court on his behalf show a man of hitherto unblemished character.”

Throughout an earlier trial Rennie denied all the charges against him and claimed the girls were telling lies.

The court heard how he raped the pair at addresses in Campbeltown while one was aged between seven and 11 and the other six and 10.

He told his victims that it was their secret and they must not tell anyone.

A police investigation was launched in 2007 after one girl blurted out what was happening to her.

During the police investigation more of Rennie’s victims came forward.

Rennie was also convicted of using lewd, libidinous and indecent practices towards another girl in Campbeltown on various occasions between 27 March 2004 and 24 April 2007 when she was aged between seven and 10

And he was convicted of indecently assaulting a fourth girl on one occasion between 9 May 1985 and 8 May 1987 in Ardrishaig and sexually abusing a fifth girl on the Isle of Gigha between 6 March 1991 and 5 March 1993.