December 2015

Raploch man is caught with vile child abuse images

A RAPLOCH man caught with vile images depicting sexual abuse of young children has been placed on the sex offenders register.

Barry Morrison pleaded guilty to downloading and saving the shocking material – most of which was categorised as being at the most serious end of the scale.

The 26-year-old appeared at Alloa Sheriff Court on Tuesday (December 1) charged with possessing the indecent images between 27 December 2013 and 27 December 2014.

The procurator fiscal told the court that the offences came to light when Morrison’s then girlfriend had been looking through one of his phones in November last year.

She said: “[The witness] saw a strange set of words…and Googled them only to discover they may be related in some way to indecent images of children.

“The witness then looked at another phone belonging to the accused and saw a video thereon which contained indecent images of an adult and a child.

“At that time she stopped her investigation and sent a text to the accused the following day and informed him the relationship was over.”

Two weeks later the witness decided to report what she had seen to the police and as a result officers searched Morrison’s home on Menzies Drive.

They found the two phones containing illegal images and the accused was detained on 27 December.

A full forensic examination found that one of the phones contained one video image rated as category A – the most serious – involving a young girl aged 8-10.

The other phone contained one still image at category A, and one video at category B, said to have depicted a child aged 1-2.

The prosecutor also told the court that the second phone had a further 17 category A videos of “broadly similar content” involving young girls being subject to rapes.

Most of the victims depicted were said to be of primary school age or younger.

Morrison’s defence agent, Mr Harrower, said his client had delved into the illegal material “out of curiosity” but had admitted saving some of the files and returning to them later.

He added: “Mr Morrison has pleaded guilty at the earliest possible opportunity. In the interim, he has been engaging with the Stop It Now programme and is almost at the end of a ten-week course.”

Sheriff David Mackie then told the accused that background interview would need to be carried out before sentencing could be delivered.

However, he told the accused that he would be placed on the sex offenders register in the meantime.

The sheriff said: “I will have to call for reports before dealing with this matter.

“However, the nature of the charges are such that you are now required to be made subject to the notification requirements of the Sexual Offences Act.

“The length of time you will remain subject to these requirements will be told to you when the case next calls in court.”

Morrison is due to appear in court shortly after the New Year for sentencing.