December 2015

Pervert (33) repeatedly sexually abused girl (13) jailed

A MAN who repeatedly sexually abused a girl when she was 13, has been jailed for two years and ten months.

Ryan Whitney plied the child with drink and cigarettes before getting her to carry out a sex act on him.

And the 33-year-old also behaved inappropriately towards her while they were fully clothed.

Then when the youngster told what had been happening police arrested him and looked at his phone where they found he had indecent images of children.

Whitney initially denied doing anything to the girl and pleaded not guilty only changing his mind on the morning of trial to admit what he had done.

Now, as he jailed him and told him to register as a sex offender for life, a judge has blasted his decision to ‘chicken out’ of admitting the truth.

Philip Warren, prosecuting, told Swindon Crown Court the girl told police what had been going on in June last year.

She said that during the previous six months she would go an see Whitney at his home in his room at a shared house where he let her drink and smoke.

While she was there he got her to touch him and as he was doing so would talk to himself ‘as if to try and stop himself’.

He also simulated sex with her face down on a bed.

Mr Warren said after he was arrested his phone was examined and found to have 28 indecent images of children on it.

Whitney, of Home Farm, Highworth, admitted three counts of sexual activity with a child as well as making and possessing indecent images of children.

Sam Arif, defending, said: “He has had some difficult relationships in the past which has led him to be quite isolated and a recluse.”

She said he had pleaded guilty to the abuse counts as it took him so long to admit to himself what he had done.

Jailing him Judge Peter Blair QC said: “You, at the very last minute, saved the girl from having to appear as a witness in a trial against you.

“It seems that you chickened out, until that stage, to face up to the reality of what you had done and sought to bury in the sand.

“That is a really terrible position to have adopted on your part because that wait, of something like 16 months, between the girl’s original complaint and the morning of a trial was inevitably incredibly stressful for her.

“Not only was it the stress of coming to the court as a young witness, but having to speak about matters which are extremely embarrassing for a young person.

“That has disturbed her life considerably and putting her feeling, by reason of your not guilty plea, she may be thought by people around her, family and friends, to be a liar.

“But she was not and was honest about what you did.”

As well as handing down a 34-month sentence he also imposed a sexual harm prevention order restricting his liberty for ten years and told him he must register as a sex offender for life.