May 2016: Bake has now been released

March 2011

West Yorkshire baby attacker jailed for ten years


A stepdad who inflicted horrific injuries on his partner’s baby son has been jailed for ten years.

Baby Tyler Bake had to undergo emergency surgery after suffering bowel and brain injuries as a result of violent attacks by Kyle Bake – – The child also had abdominal injuries and was ingesting his own faecal material.

Doctors also discovered the five-month-old to have multiple broken ribs and a skull fracture when he was admitted to hospital in August 2008 

He was breathing rapidly, emitting a squeak with each breath, his body was cold and abdomen extended.

He was taken to the nearby hospital and needed immediate resuscitation. His small bowel was found to be perforated, similar to car accident injuries, and he was operated on that afternoon

Bake, 24, of Willow Park, Pontefract, was jailed yesterday after being found guilty of four offences of causing grievous bodily harm with intent and one of neglect after a trial in January.

Tyler’s mother, Karen Pearce, 22, of Orchard Head Crescent, Pontefract, was jailed for 12 months after being found guilty of neglect.

The court also heard how Bake caused burn injuries to Tyler’s foot as a result of him coming into contact with hot liquid.

Bake inflicted the injuries over a period in which Tyler was aged between five weeks and five months old.

Leeds Crown Court heard how Pearce and her partner failed to seek medical attention knowing the baby was seriously injured.

The prosecution said the pair had “unswerving loyalty” for each in the face of incontrovertible evidence of deliberate harm.

During the trial Michelle Colbourne, prosecuting, told the jury how the youngster received head injuries aged five months old.

She said: “Tyler was punched, kicked or struck against a hard surface by someone caring for him.

“By someone violent, capable of deliberately hurting a defenceless baby. By someone who had done the same thing months before, then failing to seek to ease the pain inflicted.”

Referring to the couple’s delay in seeking medical treatment, the barrister said: “She (Pearce) place her loyalty to her boyfriend higher in her list than the safety of her only child.

“She is responsible for the worsened condition of Tyler, she together with Kyle Bake allowed Tyler to remain hidden at home until a point at which they were forced by his near death condition to seek some help for him.

Rodney Jameson, for Bake, said that Tyler was likely to make a full recovery from his injuries.

Andrew Dallas, for Pearce, who is now married to Bake, said she was a young and relatively inexperienced mother at the time.

He said she had come from a disruptive and tragic background and was devastated by what had happened.

Jailing Bake, judge James Spencer said: “There is no mitigation in your case that I can see and there is only one possible sentence I can impose. That sentence must be a significant one because of the nature and seriousness of the offences and the number of them.”

Temporary Detective Chief Inspector Paul Jeffrey said: “This has been a very challenging investigation into how a baby sustained horrific injuries when he was only a few months old. Thankfully the victim has made a full recovery and is unlikely to remember first hand what happened to him at such an early age.”