May 2016

Man jailed for 6 years after he was convicted of assault by penetration on a girl aged under 13

A FORMER Flintshire man has been jailed for six years after he was convicted of assault by penetration on a girl aged under 13.

Daniel Robinson, 44, who previously lived in the Mold area but now lives in Gloucester, had pleaded not guilty but was convicted by a jury at Mold Crown Court in March.

Judge Rhys Rowlands ordered him to register with the police as a sex offender for life.

A 10-year sexual harm prevention order was made to protect the public from serious harm from him in the future.

Sentencing him, the judge said it was clear Robinson had no remorse for what he had done.

He had no realisation of the harm he had caused the victim. It was a serious sexual assault upon a very young girl.

Robinson had drunk far too much and that may have acted as a disinhibitor, the judge said.

He had been disturbed by another person, told that person to leave the room, and then continued with what he was doing.

Understandably, the victim had been terribly upset and ran from the room screaming.

“Both mother and daughter have been badly affected by what you did to her that night,” said Judge Rowlands.

What he had done to the girl would remain with her for many years to come.

The reality was the defendant was a man of no previous convictions who had behaved out of character. 

He had read references from his wife and his father, and it was clear the defendant was a good father to his own son.

Defending barrister Debra White told how the offence which the jury convicted him of had enormous consequences.

His wife was standing by him, he was a man of no previous convictions who had spent six weeks in Altcourse Prison in Liverpool on remand, and he had been on the vulnerable person’s wing initially.

One night he found his cell mate hanging, Robinson attended to him and fortunately he had lived, but it had an extremely traumatic effect on Robinson.

He had been moved to the health care wing, but he had received threats and had chosen to have a self imposed lock up so he was locked in his cell.

The defendant had worked for a long time, but before the offences had been the sole carer of his son while his wife went out to work.

The separation from his son would make the prison sentence all the more difficult.

At the end of the trial the judge said Robinson had been convicted on pretty overwhelming evidence.

He would probably not have done it if he was sober and no doubt now regretted what he had done.

Karl Scholz, prosecuting, told the jury Robinson had provided nail clippings and DNA analysis provided strong support for the suggestion he had touched the girl.

Miss White said it was her client’s case no such thing had happened.

The jury heard that following the incident in March of last year the victim ran for help and was seen to be crying hysterically. It was Robinson who rang the police.

He was said to be very drunk and told how he was ringing the police because he did not want to be treated like a paedophile.