May 2016

Bristol man repeatedly raped girl aged 13


A MAN who repeatedly raped a schoolgirl has been jailed for 10 years.

Shane Gibbins tried to tell the 13-year-old that the abuse was “their secret”, Bristol Crown Court was told today.

When the “devastating” offences came to light and he was arrested, the 29-year-old told a cell mate in Bristol Prison: “I did it, but I think I can get away with it.”

Gibbins, a father-of-three from Lawrence Hill, pleaded guilty to five charges of rape and two of sexual activity with a child.

Kirsty Real, prosecuting, said Gibbins sexually abused the youngster when she was aged 13 and he was aged 27.

The offences came to light when the child told her mother she had had sex with Gibbins and police were called in.

Initially Gibbins denied all, the court heard.

Gibbins’ partner then messaged him, saying: “I will run away with you if you’ve done the things alleged.”

Gibbins then phoned her back, asking: “Can we run?”, admitting that he had done it once but it was a mistake.

Ultimately Gibbins pleaded guilty to forcing oral sex on the child and touching her private parts as she tried pushing him away.

He also admitted five occasions when he raped her, one of which involved him forcing her to give him oral sex.

The youngster made a victim impact statement charting how she had lost confidence as a result of the abuse and had had suicidal thoughts.

The court heard police recovered condoms containing Gibbins’ DNA .

While remanded in custody at HMP Bristol Gibbins reportedly told his cell mate he might escape conviction due to a lack of evidence.

David Scutt, defending, said his remorseful client had worked in security.

He had been diagnosed with depression.

Mr Scutt told the court: “Whatever the sentence, it’s going to be an extremely hard one for him to serve.

“He doesn’t know why he did it. He struggles with it.

“He will continue to actively seek help in prison.”

Judge Julian Lambert handed him a 14 year sentence, comprising of ten years’ prison and four years’ extended licence.

He told Gibbins: “One word for this is devastating.

“You have wrecked more than one life because of what you’ve done, I learn from the victim impact statements in this case.”

Gibbins was told to abide by a stringent, indefinite Sexual Harm Prevention Order, banning him from contact with children aged under 16 and prohibiting him from loitering within 50 metres of school grounds.

He was also prevented from unchecked internet use or online forums without first notifying police.